Yes. We've looked at jgrass. It was rather quiescent when we started out work, but has been re-energized recently.

I agree that it would be nice to have the Java-based "Horton machine" modules available for the GRASS community. However, as is the case with all truly open source projects, contribution to GRASS is voluntary. Moreover, all are free to use GRASS code. But as long as they comply with the requirements of the GPL, there is no requirement that they contribute back to the GRASS project. On other hand, diversity in software development approaches can be a very healthy thing. Finally, for anyone interested in porting some of these Java modules back to GRASS I mention a potentially interesting idea. Java or any other language can work with GRASS (In fact part of the work my team is doing involves linking up Java-based ABM with GRASS). However, the current and future versions of GRASS are being optimized to work especially nicely with Python, including the ability to automatically generate a GRASS GUI for any Python script. Object oriented Python has a lot of structural and syntactic similarities to Java. It might not be to hard to port some of these modules to Python. Just a thought to toss out there.

Michael

On Dec 12, 2009, at 10:01 AM, grass-user-requ...@lists.osgeo.org wrote:

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:02:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Re: Hydroligics in grass
To: "grass-user@lists.osgeo.org" <grass-user@lists.osgeo.org>

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Michael Barton wrote:

That said, we've done a lot of testing in my lab of the ability of these (and other modules like r.flow) to simulate overland flow. We've had the
best results with r.watershed with the new multi-flow direction (MFD)
algorithm implemented in GRASS 6.5 and 7.

Michael,

I saw a reference to jgrass in an earlier thread. I've not yet looked
closely at it but it apparently has modules lacking in GRASS for
precipitation-runoff calculations. Have you or your students looked at
jgrass?

Ideally, it would be nice to have all the additional capabilities of jgrass
incorporated into (C)GRASS.

Rich