Rich Shepard pisze:
  1) Can GRASS work with TINs for elevation determinations? I've not seen
anything about it, yet I've read that it has advantages over raster-based
DEMs for some purposes and wonder if there are any plans to accommodate this
data structure.
No

2) Is there documentation on how to drape a bit-mapped image (specifically from Google maps) over a shaded relief map?
d.rast -o see d.rast
I also suggest nviz and nviz documentation.

I also suggest you Open Source GIS a GRASS GIS approach by Marcus Neteler and Helena Mitasova

For my work,
impressive visuals is critical to accepting technical results.
nviz give you really impressive visuals with maximum resolution ppm images (require posterior GIMP post processing)
but please! read manual first.

J.