Malte,
------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:04:26 +0100
From: Malte Martin <ma...@perlomat.de>
Subject: [GRASS-user] nearest point to a line
To: grass-user@lists.osgeo.org

Hi Grass users!

After a few years without GRASS I'm starting to work with GRASS again. And of course I have some problems or better questions if GRASS will fit my needs.

I have to find the nearest point to a line. I think v.distance wil do the trick but I'm a little bit confused. My idea is using v.distance with a threshold. The output should be a table with the point number or better point designation, the distance and the designation of the line. So I'll be able to sort the table with the minimum distance of each line. But I'm "lost in documentation" somehow. It would be great if someone could give me a short hint. How can I get the output (of course the desginations are attributes of the sites and lines).

Thanks in advance!
Malte Martin
v.distance using the -a flag allows you to specify an output table. In the output table, from_cat is created automatically. Specify upload=cat column=to_cat will capture the to-category.

Unfortunately, for me anyhow, if I use upload=cat,attr and column=to_cat,<attribute name> it fails - but you can use the from_cat and to_cat to populate other database columns in the db instead of Grass.

RC