> What is good guidance for where to set the threshold?

Try using some already existing data for mapped streams, such as the
national hydrography dataset.  You can adjust the threshold of the
accumulation until your modeled output is close to already mapped
features.

 I don't see the -b flag for r.watershed
> 6.4svn checkout (probably a week ago) in the man pages.

I think the -b option starts in version 7 (?)

I said
> realistic because you can set the threshold to 1 for a 1m res dem.
> There are lines that don't even look like streams all over the place.

Threshold relates to the accumulation of upgradient cells.  Its
usually a larger number in the thousands to 10s of thousands (at least
from my data/experience).

> Is it possible to extract streams with the landscape (Mongomery) as a
> guide for the threshold?

Try without altering the montgomery exponent and see how well it
matches known features.

Mark