This really only applies to developers and users that compile GRASS.  I already
bundle TclTk with my GRASS packages for those users that just download and
intall the binaries.

Anyways, I added a TclTk 8.5.8 installer to my site for those that need it.
Just a quick standard Aqua framework build, it'll overwrite ActiveTcl, and it
takes care of the lib symlinks mentioned in the GRASS Mac readme.

On Feb 26, 2011, at 10:20 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> Don't upgrade to TclTk 8.5.9, stick with 8.5.8.  I realize it's been out
> since last September, but I never upgraded out of laziness and didn't notice.
>
> They switched to use the system Cocoa API from the old Carbon API (should
> have saved that for 8.6).  Togl still has Carbon calls in it, and I don't
> think that'll change (it's not an easy fix, and GRASS still uses the older
> togl 1.7, and even 2.0 still uses Carbon).  I'm too lazy to report a bug for
> TclTk on this - I don't use NVIZ and expect GRASS 7 (and maybe 6) to
> eventually have something working in Python anyways.
>
> Unfortunately, ActiveState, that makes the ActiveTcl that is recommended for
> compilation and my binaries, only provides old versions for download for the
> "business" edition, and doesn't allow reditribution of their installers.
> I'll have to restore the TclTk compile instructions in the Mac readme in the
> GRASS source, and figure out something to make a TclTk 8.5.8 available for
> existing GRASS packages.
>
> Any user-compiled or other distribution of TclTk 8.5.8 Aqua frameworks should
> work, as it's all just standard options in the source.
>
> Note: this only affects NVIZ.  TclTk GUI is not affected.
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."
>
> - Marvin

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and
always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of
objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan