Hi Patrick,

You are right - there are currently only simple feature/non topological formats available in OGR/QGIS and others. GRASS is an exception and I believe that OGR can read old ArcInfo coverages (also a topological format). I just don't know any solution currently.

The problem with Interlis is the bad performance. Parsing the model and polygonizing each time you open a project will always be slower. That's why I suggested the conversion to a different format. Interlis is designed as an exchange format, not a production database. I don't know any GIS (neither commercial or Open Source) that can read/write/edit directly off of Interlis data. Usually there are only import and exports.

Sorry that I don't have a better answer,
Andreas