Dear List,

I am running GRASS 6.5 (2012) on Snow Leopard. I want to access a Mapset, have
GRASS run analyses, and save new maps on an external HD.  I use this external
HD to back up the same computer I am running the GRASS. When I direct GRASS to
browse the 'grassdata' folder on the external HD and start GUI from a Mapset
(Permanent or others) I get this error:

/Volumes/MacBook Pro Backup/Backups.backupdb/Bulent Arikan’s MacBook
Pro/2011-10-25-113623/Ari
Bub/Users/bulentarikan/grassdata/TR_WGS84_37N/PERMANENT/.gislock: Permission
denied
ERROR: /Applications/GRASS_6.5/GRASS-6.5.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/lock:
Unable to properly access /Volumes/MacBook Pro Backup/Backups.backupdb/Bulent
Arikan’s MacBook Pro/2011-10-25-113623/Ari
Bub/Users/bulentarikan/grassdata/TR_WGS84_37N/PERMANENT/.gislock
Please notify system personel.
logout

[Process completed]

I am not running concurrent sessions and I know that GIS Lock is a feature but
is there a way to get around this, so that I can save time by directly having
some very large-size maps stored in external HD?

Thank you.

BÜLENT ARIKAN, PhD
Senior Research Fellow
Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations
Koç University
İstiklal Caddesi No: 181 Merkez Han
Beyoğlu - ISTANBUL
TURKEY