On 08/14/2012 08:36 PM, Pedro Camargo wrote:
Hi,
      I'm new to Grass and to Raster files, and although I know some concepts, I'm having trouble to work with geotiff files. Basically, I want to import tiff files downloaded from http://nassgeodata.gmu.edu/CropScape/ into vector layers.

Any ideas on how can I do that?

I downloaded a small section of the 2011 landcover layer from the site you linked to. In the download options, I specified WGS84 Lat/Lon coordinate system. (Otherwise is was projected in an unknown, but specified Albers Equal Area CRS). Then I imported the raster into a Lat/Lon WGS84 LOCATION in GRASS using: r.in.gdal. No problem here:
r.in.gdal in=NASS....tif out=nass
# Or in the GUI, File->Import raster->Common import formats
g.region -p rast=nass
# Settings->Region->Set Region->Set to raster

Next I did r.to.vect with the parameter "feature=area". This indeed created a polygon vector map:
r.to.vect in=nass out=nass feature=area
# In the GUI, File->Map type conversions->Raster to vector

However you need to be aware that the raster will be come many tens of thousands of small polygons. I downloaded a small section of MA and it was about 1000 columns X 500 rows. A 500,000 cell raster is not large. But, converted to a vector this became 77,000 little polygons.

So the procedure works. The question is: Is that what you want? What's your next step?

Thanks,
                 Pedro

PS - I'm using the GUI

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.