Markus N:
> I wonder if the command line bash shell g.extension could be redicted
> *on Windows* to the Python based g.extension to avoid these problems?

I purposely left the g.extension(.sh) installed in the Windows build as
theoretically & fundamentally it should work if the user has a full compiler
and build environment for grass set up. For those people, and in the hope
that someone might be able to make it work better someday, it remains.
I get really frustrated by software that assumes it knows better and locks
out otherwise possible things, so I try not to replicate that behaviour...

As it is anecdotally quite rare for Windows users to have that full
build-from-source environment (most download the pre-built .exe installer)
if it does remain, I would think it good to add a WARNING for Windows
command line users to try it from the GUI instead. (and so download
pre-built parcels from Martin's site) e.g. for the debian/ubuntu packages
g.extension(.*) returns a non-fatal warning if the -dev package isn't
installed too, which says "what you are trying to do probably won't work,
this is why, and this is how to fix it".

best,
Hamish