Hi all,

I'm coming back to that subject because the GPM datas are finally available
since December 2014. The original data are stored in HDF5, which is
supported by GDAL.
However, I had a problem with the geo-referencing of the data. It seems
that the lat/long coordinates are flipped.
The problem seems to come from GDAL, as the HDF5 driver still don't support
GPM data:
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_hdf5.html

I've actually downloaded a regional extracts the data in NetCDF from a NASA
website, although I can't remember where exactly, as there are several
services. Those data suffer from the same problem of inverted coordinates.

So I used the ncpdq from NCO package to fix the NetCDF directly, and a tiny
Python script to batch process the files :

###
#!/usr/bin/env python
from os import listdir
import subprocess
for input_file in listdir(main_path):
    output_file = input_file + '_fixed'
    subprocess.call(['ncpdq','-a', 'lat,lon', input_file, output_file])
###

After batch import the data in GRASS, maintaining the original name
including timestep, which looks like this:
3B-HHR.MS.MRG.3IMERG.20140619-S000000-E002959.0000.V03D

A Python script to register the maps in temporal framework:

#####
#!/usr/bin/env python
import grass.script as grass

# retrieve the list of maps
maplist = grass.read_command('g.list', type = 'raster',
    pattern = '*IMERG*')

# turn result in a list
maplist = maplist.split()

file_name = 'gpm_timestamp.txt'

# creating the file containing the timepstamp
list_file = open(file_name,'w')

# iterate through the maps
for input_map in maplist:
    # split line to keep only the timestamp
    raw_ts = input_map.split('.')[4]
    # isolate the date
    raw_mapdate = raw_ts.split('-')[0]
    # put the date in form
    mapdate = raw_mapdate[:4] + '-' + raw_mapdate[4:6] + \
        '-' + raw_mapdate[6:]
    # isolate the start time
    raw_start_time = raw_ts.split('-')[1]
    # put the date in form
    start_time = raw_start_time[1:3] + ':' + \
        raw_start_time[3:5] + ':' + raw_start_time[5:]
    # isolate the end time
    raw_end_time = raw_ts.split('-')[2]
    # put the end time in form
    end_time = raw_end_time[1:3] + ':' + \
        raw_end_time[3:5] + ':' + raw_end_time[5:]
    # put timestamp in form
    timestamp = mapdate + ' ' + start_time + '|' + mapdate + \
        ' ' + end_time

    # format the whole line
    line = input_map + '|' + timestamp + '\n'

    # write line to the file
    list_file.write(line)

# close the file
list_file.close()

# register the maps in grass space_time dataset
grass.run_command('t.register', input = 'GPM_ZMCM', file = file_name)

#####

Hope it will help other peoples having trouble using those data.

Regards,
Laurent