Thanks Moritz.  This looks like the solution I was looking for.

However, I have not been successful at building GRASS from source for quite a long time (just tried again and generated fatal errors in over 50 directories), so it will be a little while before I can test the patch. At a first glance, much of it appears to be the use of a TAB in python code causing indentation problems, but that is clearly a different issue than v.what behavior.

The v.what Makefile has a few environment variables to sort out before I can isolate just that program and substitute it in, so I will report on test results as soon as I am able.

Thanks, Dave