I am working with some aerial photograps, I have sets of pancromatic black and
white pictures and colored infrared pictures. the pan-images were imported
directly and displays quite qickly, each image being about 150M. When I
imported the colored IR pictures, they came in as three bands, each about the
same size as the pancromatic picture. Then I used r.composite to recreate the
colored picture, and got a file on about 500M. When I use d.rast to display the
composite file, things takes ages, nothing seems to happen for a long while.
d.rast uses more or less 100% of the CPU but not much memory. I recall the
xdriver being slow when displaying rasters with a large color space as an issue
some years ago, but I thought that worked better now.. Are there anything I can
do to make it work better? I have presently 24 bits color depth, but that is
going to increase to 36 bits (3x12bits) later on, if that goes even slower, I
will have a problem...

My machine is a 1,5 GHz with 1 GB of RAM running linux, no speedmonster, when
displaying the same maps in qgis, it goes quite a bit faster.

Morten