Hi Malte,

yesss that was it, works now! I had a feeling that I missed something after the Ubuntu upgrade ... thanks for the recall, I appreciate it, very much :-).

Many thanks for everybody who gave advices, grass is a great thing, as well as the whole community around it :-D.

regards

Tomas

Malte Halbey-Martin wrote:
Hi Tomas,

Here are some of my problems with gdal-issues compiling GRASS 6.3 from cvs:

I ran into problems after I compiled 6.3. I couldn't start GRASS, it
always crashed of missing libgdal.XXX.so1 (in that manner you described)
After creating symlink to the existing libgdal.1.3.2.so.1, it all whent
fine.

Did the problem occur, when you use the --with-gdal option when you run
./configure

--with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config

Maybe you have to add the libs to your /etc/ld.so.conf. Is there an
entry like /usr/lib?
If not, add it and run sudo ld.config.

As I said, these are the traps where I've been caught by compiling GRASS
from source. Hope one of these helps ;-)

Malte

Tomas Lanczos schrieb:
Hi Maris,

the hangup occurs when I select the mapset from the list, only the
Outputs window is opened and then it's hanging. I tried also older cvs
packages, it's the same.

I don't know whether is it a clue, but during the Ubuntu upgrade I lost
somwhere the gdal-config file, so I recompiled the GDAL (version 1.4.0).
After that I compiled the GRASS 6.3 CVS, using this script for the
configure:

./configure --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.4 \
--with-odbc \
--with-freetype --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
--with-readline --with-cxx --enable-largefile \
--with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/postgresql \
--with-postgres-libs=/usr/lib/postgresql/8.2/lib \
--with-python \
--with-proj-share=/usr/local/share/proj

regards and thanks for the help

Tomas

Maris Nartiss wrote:
Hi Tomas,

how You started GRASS? Does it hanged on startup or when gis.m was
launched from terminal?

Could this be the source of Your problem?
http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=521&group_id=21&atid=205

Maris.