Hi!

Generally speaking:
If your log senders need special treatment (i.e. if you need to set up
different extractors), then use different inputs.
If you send gelf directly, you are generally ok with one input.
Syslog-like inputs often need special extractors, so in those cases
you have special "plain text" inputs with extractors, Cisco "syslog"
is like that in many cases. Or ESXi.

Another case is if you want to tag sources in a special way, using a
"static field". Those are per input, so you would configure different
inputs. Use-cases could be different applications deployed across many
servers, where you don't really care about which server actually
handled the request, or rather at some level you don't care. This
often includes GELF sent from applications, where you cannot
differentiate between messages because they all look similar. By using
different target addresses, you can tag them.

Other than that standard network considerations apply, e.g. load
balancing or firewalls.

HTH,
Kay