Hello Edmundo,

thanks for the prompt reply. Opening the closed indices in question in the
web interface is not possible either, so I will open an issue with the
information you requested, albeit that'll take some time. Here's the
general outline:

If elasticsearch_max_number_of_indices in graylog2.conf is set to N, the
Indices page in the web interface will show N indices altogether, that
includes the write-active index. For all indices except the write-active
one, the only actions available are 'close' and 'delete'. In elasticsearch,
all indices listed by Graylog are marked open. None of the indices marked
close is being available for action via the web interface.

I think you're correct with the assessment that Graylog doesn't know how to
properly un-manage its indices.

Again, I'll follow up with a detailed issue soon and link it here.

Thanks & best regards,
J.