Thanks.  For the benefit of anyone reading this who uses the AWS images,
which are based on Ubuntu and use Chef to (re)configure everything, it ends
up the relevant line is in

/opt/graylog/embedded/cookbooks/graylog/recipes/elasticsearch.rb:

    :max_memory => "#{(node.memory.total.to_i * 0.6 ).floor / 1024}m"

I changed 0.6 to 0.3 and ran a graylog-ctl reconfigure, which results in
1185m instead of 2371m being thrown at it.  I'll monitor and report back if
any problems.  For now this is just a test installation and loads are very
low.

Still, it seems like the default AWS configuration is cutting it too close
to the 4GB the docs on its distribution page recommend.  And I'm beginning
to see that using this image instead of a manual install onto a basic
Centos Amazon linux VM was a false savings of time...