Started to build the Graylog server with Elasticsearch on a RHEL 6.6 vm
machine with 2 cores and 4GB of RAM.

Installation went fine and after a period i could access the web interface.
Straight when i log in i get a flickering number 3 above the panel. One of
those errors are:

Elasticsearch nodes with too low open file limit
There are Elasticsearch nodes in the cluster that have a too low open file
limit (current limit: *4096* on *jean.domain.com* should be at least 64000)
This will be causing problems that can be hard to diagnose. Read how to
raise the maximum number of open files in the Elasticsearch setup
documentation.
<http://www.graylog2.org/resources/documentation/setup/elasticsearch>

So of course i started to read how i could fix this error. So i added

fs.file-max = 65536

to /etc/sysctl.conf, but also

*               soft    nproc           65535
*               hard    nproc           65535
*               soft    nofile          65535
*               hard    nofile          65535

to /etc/security/limits.conf and rebooted the system. Once it has been
booted i checked if everything was set with ulimit -a:

core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 30490
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 65535
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 65535

And it looks like it has been set. I can reach the web panel, but after
login, the message is still there and although i can click it away, it
comes back straight again. So i tried a few other stuff, like adding
ULIMIT_N=65535 and a bunch of others, but it still gives me the error.
What am i doing wrong? Does anyone know how i can remove the error. I want
to show it to my boss, but it looks silly with that error on it :)