Just getting used to Graylog, but here's my 2 cents:

My boss slapped graylog and nxlog onto our workstations and said "this
stuff looks swell, please make it work"
I noticed he must have copy/pasted some default configs for nxlog and
generic extractors for graylog.
What I see in graylog reminds me of your situation. Getting a full message,
that gets truncated into a "message" field. Only difference is the
remaining data from the "full message" gets sorted into half a dozen other
fields. I suspect this is the handiwork of the generic extractors..?
So the moral of my story is: I wouldn't worry about the truncation, maybe
just get some extractors that will get the remaining data from the full
message into fields. E.g. we use cisco devices to I'm pretty sure my boss
just googled "uber graylog cisco extractors" lol and pasted them in (into
the import section). So ya. gl.