I am confused about what to expect graylog to be, and how to use it -

I have two use cases:

(1) A single server runs httpd, mysqld, and a few other services (sshd
etc). I could use logwatch to parse the logs, but logwatch alerts me to a
lot of normal stuff like 404's served from httpd and I used sudo, and stuff
like that. And logwatch is not very straightforward to configure, to reduce
those unwanted positives, and only runs via cron. I would like to find
another system (graylog?) that is able to parse logs on the fly, generate
alerts only about bad stuff that needs attention. That has predefined
rules, so if apache throws some kind of out of memory error (or similar
system error) into the log I'll see it, but normal 404's and stuff like
that I won't see.

(2) A bunch of servers are running a bunch of services. We're already using
alerting systems like zabbix and server density, but they are mostly
offering status alerts, not so much log processing. We'd like to add log
processing.