Hi all,

We have just stood up a Proof-of-Concept Graylog cluster and we are
ingesting log data from around 50 nodes.  The Graylog cluster itself is
working fine and is stable ingesting at something like 8000 msgs/sec.  Now
it's time to try to do something useful with that data.  And herein lies
the crux of my question.

At the moment I have a single input configured of type "GELF TCP" listening
on port TCP/12201.  This is behind a load balancer and all logs are being
forwarded with graylog collector.  A subset of the collector configuration
is below:

inputs {
  syslog {
    type = "file"
    path-glob-root = "/var/log"
    path-glob-pattern = "{syslog,auth.log,dpkg.log,kern.log}"
  }
  nginx-logs {
    type = "file"
    path-glob-root = "/var/log/nginx"
    path-glob-pattern = "*log"
  }
  app-logs [
    type = "file"
    path = "/var/log/application.json"
  }
}

outputs {
  gelf-tcp {
    type = "gelf"
    host = "server"
    port = 12201
    [ ... SNIP ... ]
  }
}

Obviously we are sending logs of many different formats to the same graylog
input.  Some are JSON, some are syslog, some are http combined, and there
are many others as well).

I am curious what others do in this situation.  I imported the nginx
content pack and it created an input (on a different port) for nginx access
logs and another (again on a different port) for nginx error logs.  Is this
best practice?  It doesn't seem overly desirable to me as it pushes the
classification of logs into the collector which I was trying to avoid.  The
alternative would seem to be to have all extractors running on my single
input, but I can't see any easy way to keep this under control.  Both from
a number of extractors perspective, but also to constrain particular
extractors to particular message types (for example based on a regex
against source_file).

I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts or experiences.

Thanks!
Patrick

BTW, having used an ELK based stack previously, I am really like Graylog
thus far.  Kudos to the developers for actually starting out by designing
an architecture.  :)