I've been trying to get Graylog running stable for a couple weeks now,
using Ubuntu Trusty and the latest Vagrant, Virtualbox and Docker on
different hardware and all have the same problem.

The first symptom is that eventually the login page says it failed with
error 500 as in Joseph John's thread. I logged in to the VM and noticed
that tail -f on the Elasticsearch logs wasn't showing any activity.
Restarting the service from within the VM failed to stop it on all three
installations, I had to kill -9 the java process and from that point
Elasticsearch failed to restart saying it had a corrupted index, and
Graylog wouldn't start saying it had no target for the reflector.

Deleting the indices and restarting Elasticsearch gets it working again,
for a short time. Consistently, within a day, Elasticsearch would freeze
again.

I tried different SSDs, different retention strategies, and different boxes
and the same problem kept happening. My message rate is about 500 messages
per minute but even when things were running, the system load was barely
above 0.2.

I see other threads here discussing the same symptoms. Any thoughts?