It seems that graylog recorded multiple ldap entries in mongodb.  Removing
all of the ldap configs and setting up a fresh one has resolved the issue
of the UI not appearing to be saving anything.

I still have the issue where I cant log in using my AD creds even though
both tests in the ldap section pass.