We have concerns that any one of our machines could have an issue and
suddenly start flooding Graylog with a million messages per second (as an
example) and filling up all our indexes and disk space 1000x faster than
anticipated while we were away for the weekend; we have fears of coming in
on Monday to find that Graylog has died from a massive flood.

So, we are looking to put in safeguards to prevent something like this and
are curious if anyone else has thought about it, and if so, how you've
dealt with it?

Two specific questions:

(1) Is there a way to limit Graylog collectors to only be able to send a
certain number of messages per second?
or
(2) Is there a way to limit what is received on the server side of things?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks guys.