It would be great if graylog had an interface for doing this. I don't know
if this is the intent, but graylog sort of "hides" ES almost entirely, so
being able to use graylog to redefine field names would be useful and in
keeping with that concept (it would obviously just be a wrapper around the
actual ES template)

Good timing on this topic. I've just adding a new GELF feed of data
containing a "lastSeen" field and was wondering how to make it a field like
"timestamp". Now I know ;-)

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Jochen Schalanda <joc...@graylog.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> Elasticsearch tries to be smart about the types of document fields if no
> explicit mapping was provided. In this case, it assumes that those fields
> are strings. Since this dynamic mapping is applied on a per-index base,
> rotating the index (see System -> Indices -> Maintenance in the Graylog web
> interface) basically enables you to start with a "clean slate".
>
> If you want to enforce a certain mapping for your indices, you can create
> an explicit mapping (see
> https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/1.7/mapping.html)
> and use an index template (see
> https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/1.7/indices-templates.html)
> to apply it to newly created indices.
>
> Cheers,
> Jochen
>
> On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 19:35:13 UTC+2, Ryan Anstey wrote:
>>
>> I'm new to this and my scripts were accidentally pouring in data as
>> strings instead of integers. I've fixed that, but now those fields are
>> still set to be strings only. Is there any way for me to override this?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/graylog2/1ad4ff3c-4253-49b6-92c8-21bc0f661cf6%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/graylog2/1ad4ff3c-4253-49b6-92c8-21bc0f661cf6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Cheers