Those changes were made before I created this topic, so the log in my
initial post was still accurate.

But here's the weird part...  I created the SSH tunnel which allowed the
connection to the ES node to come up, which was a temporary workaround, but
did the job.  Then last night I was looking at doing some tuning of ES, and
did a node list to check the effective mlockall configuration.

[root@HRTV-GES001 indices]# curl
http://10.100.10.222:9200/_nodes/process?pretty
{
  "cluster_name" : "graylog2",
  "nodes" : {
    "yKgtXP1MSeGX0ScDJK9ETQ" : {
      "name" : "Crazy Eight",
      "transport_address" : "10.100.10.222:9300",
      "host" : "10.100.10.222",
      "ip" : "10.100.10.222",
      "version" : "2.3.2",
      "build" : "b9e4a6a",
      "http_address" : "10.100.10.222:9200",
      "process" : {
        "refresh_interval_in_millis" : 1000,
        "id" : 4073,
        "mlockall" : false
      }
    },
    "DDJ9GLAkTIG81SjiRA-_Cg" : {
      "name" : "graylog-71192b15-8a49-4f65-847f-cc62028fa176",
      "transport_address" : "10.100.10.221:9350",
      "host" : "10.100.10.221",
      "ip" : "10.100.10.221",
      "version" : "2.3.1",
      "build" : "bd98092",
      "attributes" : {
        "client" : "true",
        "data" : "false",
        "master" : "false"
      },
      "process" : {
        "refresh_interval_in_millis" : 1000,
        "id" : 1892,
        "mlockall" : false
      }
    }
  }
}

Which looks correct, all addresses are exactly what they should be.  So out
of curiosity I dropped the tunnel, and everything stayed connected.
 Bounced graylog-server and the connection came back up fine.

Now I thought I had restarted graylog-server after I changed the IP
addresses in the config, but now I'm having doubts.  I do know it wasn't
restarted between when I brought up the tunnel, until when I restarted it
for testing after noticing the tunnel should be needed anymore.  So I'm not
really sure what happened.