*i followed this in the documentation*
Creating a self-signed private key/certificate

Create PKCS#5 and X.509 certificate:

$ openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8zh 14 Jan 2016
$ openssl req -x509 -days 365 -nodes -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout pkcs5-plain.pem
-out cert.pem
Generating a 2048 bit RSA private key
............................+++
.+++
writing new private key to 'pkcs5-plain.pem'
-----
[...]
If you enter '.', the field will be left blank.
-----
Country Name (2 letter code) [AU]:DE
State or Province Name (full name) [Some-State]:Hamburg
Locality Name (eg, city) []:Hamburg
Organization Name (eg, company) [Internet Widgits Pty Ltd]:Graylog, Inc.
Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:
Common Name (e.g. server FQDN or YOUR name) []:graylog.example.com
Email Address []:hostmas...@graylog.example.com

Convert PKCS#5 private key into a *plaintext* PKCS#8 private key:

$ openssl pkcs8 -in pkcs5-plain.pem -topk8 -nocrypt -out pkcs8-plain.pem
*then i added my certs in like explained here.*

# Enable HTTPS support for the REST API. This secures the communication with
the REST API# using TLS to prevent request forgery and
eavesdropping.rest_enable_tls = true
# The X.509 certificate chain file in PEM format to use for securing the REST
API.rest_tls_cert_file = /path/to/graylog-certificate.pem
# The PKCS#8 private key file in PEM format to use for securing the REST
API.rest_tls_key_file = /path/to/graylog-key.pem
# The password to unlock the private key used for securing the REST
API.rest_tls_key_password = secret
# Enable HTTPS support for the web interface. This secures the communication
the web interface# using TLS to prevent request forgery and
eavesdropping.web_enable_tls = true
# The X.509 certificate chain file in PEM format to use for securing the web
interface.web_tls_cert_file = /path/to/graylog-certificate.pem
# The PKCS#8 private key file in PEM format to use for securing the web
interface.web_tls_key_file = /path/to/graylog-key.pem
# The password to unlock the private key used for securing the web
interface.web_tls_key_password = secret

When I restart the service everything seems to start ok but when I connect to
the web interface I receive and error connecting to <1.1.1.1:12900>

the rest api is accessible because if I turn web_tls and rest_tls back off i
can reach everything.