Thanks Jochen for the clarification,
But still no clue on how one secures REST with Docker / VM / AWS ... setups

Quoting the documentation
<http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.0/pages/configuring_webif.html#https-setup>:

We highly recommend securing your Graylog installation using SSL/TLS to
> make sure that no sensitive data is sent over the wire in plain text. To
> make this work, you need to do two things:
>

>    - Enable TLS for the Graylog REST API (rest_enable_tls)
>    - Enable TLS for the web interface endpoint (web_enable_tls)
>
> You also need to make sure that you have proper certificates in place,
> which are valid and trusted by the clients. Not enabling TLS for either one
> of them will result in a browser error about mixed content and the web
> interface will cease to work.

It is obvious that this is highly recommended for production setups, which
we want to follow

Perhaps clarity needs to be added to mention that it's not applicable to
all environments.

Furthermore, The graylog-ctl script documentation can benefit from a
mention of security in the Production Readiness
<http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.0/pages/installation/graylog_ctl.html#production-readiness>

Section and hopefully one day some details and examples on how to achieve
that.

Thanks

Production readiness