Thanks Jan,
To answer your questions.

> did you check your /etc/hosts for this IP?

Not sure what you want me to check? confirm that it has a hostname defined?

Server 1
ubuntu@graylog-server1:~/bak$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
10.20.1.229 graylog graylog
10.20.1.229 graylog-server graylog-server
10.20.1.229 graylog-server1 graylog-server1

Server 2
ubuntu@graylog-server2:/opt/graylog/conf$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
10.20.2.229 graylog graylog
10.20.2.229 graylog-server2 graylog-server2

Are you able to ping/telnet
> from the graylog Server?

I can ping from server 1 to server 2 and vice versa
Telnet is blocked, though I don't see the relevance of telnet, we use ssh

> Did you check if mongodb_uri is set twice?

This is the only mongodb related settings in graylog.conf

# MongoDB Configuration
mongodb_uri = mongodb://10.20.1.229:27017/graylog

# Raise this according to the maximum connections your MongoDB server can
handle if you encounter MongoDB connection problems.
mongodb_max_connections = 100

# Number of threads allowed to be blocked by MongoDB connections
multiplier. Default: 5
#
 If mongodb_max_connections is 100, and
mongodb_threads_allowed_to_block_multiplier is 5, then 500 threads can
 block. More than that and an exception will be thrown.
#
http://api.mongodb.org/java/current/com/mongodb/MongoOptions.html#threadsAllowedToBlockForConnectionMultiplier
mongodb_threads_allowed_to_block_multiplier = 5

how did you configure that this second server is a slave?

No MongoDB running locally

Graylog.conf
is_master = false

mongodb_uri = mongodb://10.20.1.229:27017/graylog

We had the the same setup before upgrading from 1.3.x to 2.0.2
And it was working fine before the upgrade.

Can you please point out what script is generating the curl command to
mongodb so that I can check how it is picking up the db address.
Now that it is clear where the problem is, it's easy to reproduce (I
suppose).

Setup a second graylog server, and set the above settings, pointing to
first server's mongodb
see if the curl launches with localhost or not.

Thanks