Jochen,

I've looked over the config files and this thread (and then double
checked).  I've cleaned up the two config files for ES (removed all the
comments and posted here just the uncommented lines). I also added options
that seemed like they might help.  But the log files still show it trying
to bind port 9300 on 127.0.0.1.  I've done everything I know to do to make
it NOT use the loopback interface.  The config's as they exist now are:

cluster.name: graylog
node.name: node2
node.master: false
network.host: x.x.x.149
network.publish_host: x.x.x.149
transport.tcp.port: 9300
http.port: 9200
discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["x.x.x.146", "x.x.x.149"]
discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 1

cluster.name: graylog
node.name: node1
node.master: true
network.host: x.x.x.146
network.publish_host: x.x.x.146
transport.tcp.port: 9300
http.port: 9200
discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["x.x.x.149", "x.x.x.146"]
discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 1

I am completely out of ideas.

Nathan