If anyone should stumble here, I was able to force solve it by manually
cycling the deflector and keeping the query range within the creation time
of the new index. This may (probably) cause issues later but in proof of
concept phase, it doesn't matter. I have finally been able to win over
management - the PoC is a success.

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 5:22:50 PM UTC+10, Jochen Schalanda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you can't change the types of a field in an existing index. The schema has
> to be defined up-front.

I couldn't find that statement anywhere in the documentation. Or even words
to it's effect.

But I believe it would aide newcomers significantly if it _was_more clearly
stated, especially w.r.t. getting the VM up and running and producing what
management want to see from a limited time pilot now - rather than the
"Wait till tomorrow boss. And hope we don't make the same mistake again,
else you'll have to wait till the next day...lather, rinse, repeat"
scenario.  That makes it hard to sell and makes mgmt believe other products
are more likely to be capable of (what they perceive to be) such a simple
thing.

> I'm pretty sure you want to read
> http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.0/pages/configuration/elasticsearch.html#custom-index-mappings
> .

Reading that without knowing the former point is, hmm, not overly helpful
when trying to get a POC up and running quickly. Obviously there is a lot
of domain knowledge to gain which is tricky at the POC stage, like you MUST
click that Add button next to the conversion in the extractor creation.
Thanks for trying to help anyway.