I've been fighting a 2.1 graylog install on an Ubuntu 14.04 EC2 m4.large
instance for most of the day now. I've gone through a bunch of attempts
following official guide, digitalocean, and a few others. Mongo, java8,
elasticsearch, and other package deps all install fine.

I am hoping to install graylog with the deb package as that seems to be the
best/recommended route.

After the install and mandatory configs this is the only error I see in the
server.log file.

2016-09-04T03:38:54.588Z ERROR [CmdLineTool] Guice error (more detail on
> log level debug): Error in custom provider,
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: port out of range:-1

Manually checking to see if the ports are listening with nc or scanning
everything with nmap verifies they are in fact down.

nmap -sT -O localhost
nc -vz localhost 12900
nc -vz localhost 9000

So it seems to me that graylog server isn't starting/listening properly.
But I have nothing else to go on. I see graylog process running. And
Mongo/Elasticsearch are up too.

Any guidance appreciated.