I've been the guardian of our underpowered graylog cluster, and I think
he's wanting the same thing I want, which is an alert when any random one
of our 14,000+ devices begins sending unusual, or massive amounts of
syslog, not just one specific device.

Presently I have to use a dashboard with views of the most common keywords
such devices spew, and watch that dashboard myself.  I have a few streams
with the most common causes, but every day there is a new one.  Adding a
separate stream for each physical device is certainly unworkable; adding a
stream for each error message that 50+ brands/models of devices can emit is
playing a game of whack-a-mole.

One simple thing I would love to do automatically is something I currently
do manually: create a pie chart with table of the top 5 senders for the
past (hour, 5 minutes, whatever), and find one particular host I know to be
stable and rather steady in its logging... and then eyeball every host in
the pie chart/table that is producing more than that specific host.  I
particularly notice any host that is producing more than 5% of all messages
in the past X minutes.  The typical device is less than 2%, and most are
less than .01%.  (We have a lot of devices sending small amounts each,
under normal conditions.)

There are a number of wifi access points, switches, and routers we use, and
it seems every one of them has at least one error state they can enter
into, in which they produce a spew of unusual error messages, reboot
themselves, spew more error messages, reboot, ad infinitum.

One such device can easily generate over a million lines of junk an hour,
and unless I'm watching a dashboard at the right moment, or unless our NOC
happens to notice the failure of the device (which for a single AP serving
a single apartment, this can be a while) the one device can easily overload

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Jochen Schalanda <joc...@graylog.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> that's certainly possible.
>
> Simply create a stream containing only the messages of that single system
> (e. g. by checking the value of the "source" message field) and create a
> stream alert which will go off if the stream contains more than X messages
> within the last 60 minutes.
>
>    - http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.1/pages/streams.html
>    - http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.1/pages/streams/alerts.html#
>    message-count-condition
>

> Cheers,
> Jochen
>
> On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 19:04:56 UTC+2, ironmanmk42 wrote:
>>
>> Graylog 1.3.2 (for now and looking to implement graylog 2.1) =
>>
>> Is it possible to setup a stream to alert if the number of messages from
>> a single sources exceeds a count?
>> I have some misbehaving apps on hosts which suddenly send over a million
>> syslogs in say an hour or two because of a faulty app.
>> It would be great to have a stream which can alert with the source and
>> message count over last 1 hour if say > 1million.
>>
>> Thanks,

> msgid/graylog2/c53d5502-3240-4254-90de-84aceba9d018%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/graylog2/c53d5502-3240-4254-90de-84aceba9d018%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried. Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
- Chris Johnson