Hey Brad,

> On 08.09.2016, at 22:15, Brad Schauf <b...@theschaufs.com> wrote:
>
> I am new to this group.
>
> We have a three node Graylog 2.0.3 cluster and a three node Elasticsearch
> cluster.
>
> When the master node is not running, Graylog will still accept a message but
> it will not trigger an http callback alert on a matching message. The alerts
> are only triggered when the master node is running
>
> I can't find documentation that says a master is required for an alert to
> trigger, only that "Certain operations of Graylog server require the presence
> of a master node, but no such master was started. Please ensure that one of
> your Graylog server nodes contains the setting is_master = true in its
> configuration and that it is running. Until this is resolved index cycling
> will not be able to run, which means that the index retention mechanism is
> also not running, leading to increased index sizes. Certain maintenance
> functions as well as a variety of web interface pages (e.g. Dashboards) are
> unavailable."
>
> Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround or a fix?

this is a known issue. Alert checks are currently run on the master node only
and are not performed when the master is down. Thanks for the remark regarding
the documentation, we will add it explicitly to the docs.

The requirement for a node being marked as master explicitly/alert checks being
run on the master only might vanish in the future, it is at least on our list
of things to work on.

Kind regards,
        D.

--
Tel.: +49 (0)40 609 452 077
Fax.: +49 (0)40 609 452 078

TORCH GmbH - A Graylog company
Poolstrasse 21
20355 Hamburg
Germany

Commercial Reg. (Registergericht): Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 125175
Geschäftsführer: Lennart Koopmann (CEO)