Hi Jochen,

We ended up deleting everything in /var/lib/graylog-server/journal/, but we
lost all the messages.  We saw some weird error messages about the memory
usage in Elasticsearch.  We had set it to use 50% of the available memory
on the server, but it did not seem to be working.  We also did the
following configuration file changes:

/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service

LimitNOFILE=65536

LimitMEMLOCK=infinity

/etc/security/defaults.conf

elasticsearch    -       nofile          65535

elasticsearch    -       memlock         unlimited

root             -       memlock         unlimited

/etc/default/elasticsearch

MAX_LOCKED_MEMORY=unlimited

ES_HEAP_SIZE=6g  (This is half of our memory)

I am not sure if all this is right, but my Linux top command shows “Virtual
memory” for elasticsearch at 13G and “Resident memory” as 6.5G.

Thank you for your reply.

Beth