A bit more on this.
In the end I added:

elasticsearch_network_host = <hostname or ip of node>
The default for that is to bind to loopback, which causes a problem because
(I guess) because it doesnt allow the graylog elasticsearch node to talk to
the other graylog elasticsearch nodes.

They don't clash with the existing cluster because the graylog
elasticsearch node listens on 9350, not 9300.

Now all three graylog nodes are talking to the three node elasticsearch
cluster, as required.