On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Jochen Schalanda <joc...@graylog.com>
wrote:

> do the syslog messages from SUSE Linux on "Input 2" contain any timezone
> information? If not, Graylog automatically assumes UTC.

Yeah this is a common problem with centralized syslog environments. The old
standard assumed everyone lived in one timezone: ah for life to be that
easy :-)

So Jochen is correct in that the best thing to do would be the fix the
problem at source - but in practice that can be an immense task. Not only
with timezone issues, but also with dumb devices that can't keep good time.
I think the syslog INPUT channel could do with a new feature to help solved
this problem at destination.

Currently on syslog INPUT channels you can set "allow_override_date" to
true/false. But "true" actually means "override date and set to current
time *if you cannot parse the date from the message*". I think if that was
to be changed to a checkbox of "false", "true-on-error" and "always" (ie
throw away valid timestamps in message and replace with "now"), then that
would solve the problem for a bunch of people. If you're using syslog, then
your records are flowing into graylog within sub-second accuracy - so
throwing away the perceived timestamp and put a proper one in doesn't
change the accuracy. And for those where being off by 0.4sec matters - well
continue to use 'false' :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar