The novel depicts the lives of a transgendered character in its
complexity. Also, there are interesting women characters who impersonates as
men in order to enter the ship. Thus the economy of pleasure deployed in
this novel defies simple dichotomies.

Let me quote a response by Fooucault in an interview with james O'Higgins.

J.O'H : I'm reminded of Cassanova's famous expression that "the best moment
in life is when one is climbing the stairs".One can hardly imagine a
homosexual today making such a remark.
M.F: Exactly. Rather , he would say something like: "the best moment of love
is when the lover leaves in the taxi."

--
Dileep R I thuravoor