http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/000200907021631.htm
*Gay rights activists hail HC judgement, religious leaders fume*

New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court ruling on homosexuals on Thursday
brought cheers to the gay community and rights activists who described it as
a "progressive" move which will change their "level of dignity", but
religious leaders strongly disapproved of the judgement.

The activists, who formed an organisation 'Voices Against Section 377' to
fight for gay rights, said the judgement will give a "new lease of life to
'Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT)' persons who have "all along
suffered humiliation".

"Today's judgement changed the level of dignity for us.

It reflects the pride that we have in diversity. It is about equality and it
has brought out a very new understanding which will take things forward,"
Sumit Bouth, an activist of Voice Against Sec 377, told reporters here.

Anjali Gopalan, the Director of Naz Foundation which filed the case in the
High Court, said that the judgement indicated "a change in attitude" towards
homosexuals.

However, religious leaders were not so enthusiastic about the High Court
judgement which legalised gay sex among consenting adults.

"It is absolutely wrong to legalise homosexuality. If the government
attempts to scrap the Sec 377, we will oppose it strongly," Ahmed Bukhari,
Shahi Imam of Delhi's Jama Masjid, told PTI.

All India Muslim Personal Law Board member Maulana Khalid Rashid Firangi
Mahli said that homosexuality is not allowed by any religion.

"It is against all religions. It is against the culture of Indian society.
We feel there is no need to legalise homosexuality. This practice is
unnatural. It should continue as a criminal act," he said.

Father Dominic Immanuel said that churches have no objection to
decriminalising homosexuality but it should not be legalised.

"We have no objection to decriminalise homosexuality because we do not
consider these people as criminals," Immanuel said.

However, Ms. Gopalan sought to dismiss criticism of the religious groups,
saying there are people in every religion who are homosexuals. "What
religious groups are saying is wrong. There thinking can change," she said.

She refereed to Vatsayan, who wrote 'Kamasutra', and said the book has a
mention about homosexuals. "Even sculptures depicting homosexuality can be
found at Khajurao indicating that homosexuality is a global phenomenon," she
said.

Ms. Gopalan was of the view that Thursday's High Court judgement is just a
beginning and that there are more battles to be fought. "The objective is
that this group should get the same right as others have in the country,"
she said.