Response from a friend, on another list:Quote
The State uses any excuse/opportunity to aggrandize its repressive power (a
point Sukla has been emphasizing) -- it does not *necessarily* mean that,
even in the state's own internal estimation, the threat to it is necessarily
particularly great.

In a sense, the State *needs* the CPI(Maoist) to justify
its repression/aggression .... Likewise, the Maoists *need* the
State's repression to (at least psychologically) self-justify their own
draconian tactics. The State and the Maoists each act as the
other's enabler in this circular relationship.

[Here, the best example is how Saroj Giri is out to brand Chhatradhar Mahato
as a "Maoist" as much as Buddhadeb is .
And the state-sponsored myth - a statistical fraud - that every fourth
Indian district is under Maoist control! . Evidently, even if a corner of a
district is affected the whole district is counted in.
The Maoists, in turn, gloatingly lap it up and drum up as much as possible.
"The Unity of the opposites"! ]

What can break the circle -- in fact, the only thing that can break the
circle -- is the emergence of a genuine and widespread
self-emancipatory mass movement of the toilers ..
Unquote

Most importantly, no words here on the two fundamental fallacies.

One, Lalgarh, or Nandigram, is from the most backward hinterland of India.
No typical Indian village. Hence even its best experience - say from
November 2008 to mid-June 2009 - has a very limited applicability.

Two, how the public embrace of the Lalgarh resistance by the Maoists proved
to be its kiss of death!
*A seven month long massive resistance crumbled in less than seven days!*
It is worth recalling here a highly fanciful report carried by the Hindustan
Times, the dateline being as recent as June 10 - that is still less than a
month back (and yet lies in another era) - incorporating an interview with a
top-notch Maoist leader operating in that area:
[Q:] How long can they [the Maoists] defend the area from the might of the
state?

[A:] “I know an action (sic) is perhaps impending,” said Koteswar Rao, or
Kishnaji, the second in command of the Indian Maoists, in an exclusive
interview to the Hindustan Times. “But let them try once.. It will be the
last time they will eye this territory.” (Emphasis added.)
Unquote
[Source: <
http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print.aspx?Id=3e7456f2-6c9e-44c1-9b35-3af9ec746d7e
>]

This was just before the campaign of violence launched by the Maoists
sidelining the PCAPA. It started effectively on June 14. The operation of
the Joint Forces commenced on June 18. The Lalgarh Police Station, the
Ground Zero, reoccupied on June 20.
Unquote
*A seven month long massive resistance crumbled in less than seven days!*

*Who's afraid of the Maoists? At least not the Indian state. It only uses it
as a convenient alibi - a manufactured spectre - to crush democratic
resistance.*
That eminently suits both.
That's how Saroj Giri and Buddhadeb both are on the same side to brand
Chhatradhar Mahato as a "Maoist".
"The Unity of the opposites"!

*Not even a pretence of attempt to address the two fundamental fallacies
underlined.*
*The deafening silence is only too eloquent.*

Sukla