---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rinita Mazumdar <rinita_mazum...@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 5:49 AM
Subject: Media and the entrenched Patriarchy!!1
To: santhosh.chandrashe...@gmail.com, kmvenuan...@gmail.com,
ckvishwan...@gmail.com

Protests against Telegraph visual
A STAFF REPORTER

Calcutta, July 18: Two women’s organisations today protested against
the publication of a graphic in The Telegraph that depicted the
state’s top five administrators in saris.

The visual accompanied a report about the state of inertia in the
administration.

In a letter handed over to The Telegraph today, Maitree, an
organisation working for the rights of women, said it was “shocked” to
see the graphic on the front page of the paper “where you have
portrayed men from the administration in saris suggesting that their
inaction makes them women”.

“The implication, thereby, is clearly that women are inactive and
incompetent,” the letter said. “This is both a demeaning and
humiliating stance towards women and we are amazed that a leading
English daily holds such regressive attitudes and views.”

Before handing over the letter, members of Maitree staged a
demonstration in front of The Telegraph office, demanding that the
paper apologise.

The Paschimbanga Ganatantrik Mahila Samity, a CPM-backed women’s
organisation, said the visual “exposes very clearly the entrenched
patriarchal attitude that lies hidden behind the apparently
super-modern and liberal façade of your newspaper”.

Referring to a sentence that accompanied the visual — “We apologise to
women who may feel the elegant sari has been wasted on our
administrators” — the organisation said that “it is, in fact, a crude
mockery of women’s sense of seriousness of occasion”.

Telegraph replies

For some months now, Bengal has looked like a state without an
administration. Friday’s bandh and the unchecked vandalism on its eve
further demonstrated the lack of will on the administration’s part to
enforce the law.

In yesterday’s paper, the five top administrators were depicted as men
in saris to illustrate the paralysis of government draped in humour.

Some of our readers and others have taken affront, seeing in it an
assumption that women are weak. It is possible some may have
associated the administrators in the graphic with women, which was not
the intention of the visual device at all. We are sorry if the graphic
gave that impression.

Some others have, however, expressed appreciation of the political
message we sought to communicate and the humour.

The Telegraph practises gender equality. It also believes that women
have long grown beyond stereotypes as the weaker sex in saris. Sonia
Gandhi and Mamata Banerjee are just two examples of women in positions
of strength. There are a million other unknown women — in saris or
business suits — in whose daily shows of strength we rejoice in the
pages of our newspaper. We hope our readers will see the Gang of Five
in Saris in that context.

We also hope despite all its divisions, true to 19th century poet
Ishwar Gupta’s words — Eto bhanga Bangadesh, tobu range bhara — Bengal
still enjoys a good laugh.

--
http://venukm.blogspot.com

http://www.shelfari.com/kmvenuannur