As is abundantly clear from the post reproduced below, the whole Unique IID
project is steeped deep in utter murkiness. There is something horribly
rotten in the state of Denmark. Never mind the Prince Charming and the
Superman rolled together - the great Nandan Nilekani, at the helm.

The national media, almost every other day, is gloating over the grandiose
project. Even today's Asian Age announces, with evident delight: "NRIs will
get UIDs too, says Nilekani"! (See: <
http://epaper.asianage.com/Asian/AAge/2009/11/19/ArticleHtmls/19_11_2009_003_010.shtml>.)
Of course, these will be another prized possession for our even otherwise
well-endowed NRIs. No doubt about that!
And, as regards the main scheme itself, we're told:
The scheme, the largest of its kind in the world and which is expected to
provide biometric details of fingerprints and photograph of 1.2 billion
Indians, will be used to confer benefits to the poor availing the NREGA and
other programmes of social uplift. Mr Nilekani said.
The main challenge facing the UIDAI team is how to work out the verification
standards for such a large population.
"Eighty per cent of the problem lies in verification of identity. The
verification committee, headed by former central vigilance commissioner N.
Vittal, is working to provide this fundamental infrastructure and is
expected to submit its report in the next three months," Mr Nilekani said.
Providing precise details about the project, Mr Nilekani said the UID number
will give an identity to the country's huge population and especially the
poor by ensuring there is no duplication of people or of anonymous
beneficiaries.
"Our technology will ensure there are no duplicates, no ghosts and no
impersonation in any of these schemes," he said.
He did not see any problem in maintaining such a large database. The UID
will not confer benefits on its users. But once it becomes fundamental then
other agencies including the passport office and income tax authorities can
do the requisite modification to make passports and PAN cards compliant to
this number he added.
Unquote

And compare this with: "The Planning Commission [PC] has stated in writing
(with a copy to me) to the Central Information Commission [CIC] that the
UIDAI [Unique Identification Authority of India] is not operational and it
has only 1 officer on its rolls at present".
And also: "The most hilarious joke during proceedings was that "the
Authority responsible for maintaining the world's largest computer database
cannot even put up a website of its own"".

So, what the heck is going on!?

And what is particularly disconcerting is that the UIDAI is operating "with
"private" help from NN's Infosys and international "friends"" on a project
which is being touted as one of great "national importance, and the chief of
which has been granted the status of a Union Cabinet Minister!
This sounds utterly sinister.

*The project even otherwise is widely being comprehended as an assault on
the citizen's privacy and also safety - in terms of the threat of "identity
theft" etc. Also it may turn a very large section of our population -
unlettered and without proper shelter etc. and thereby incapable of handling
such number or card - overnight into non-citizens and face all the trauma
that will come as a consequence.*
*The CIC order expected today should provide a concrete ground for taking
legal action accompanied by all-out public campaign demanding complete
transparency as regards the methods, status and expected outcomes of the
project.*

Sukla