The article by Shohini Ghosh is enlightening.Thanks for posting it
here.
Women are invariably denied agency and they are automatically
registered as 'victims' in the moral discourse conducted by the
reigning  caste-gender  establishment.
Each talk of 'Voluntarism' on the part of women in  stories with
moralistic connotation are automatically under suspicion.
It is not just confined to the discourse of sex work, but in also
situations wherever women try to exercise their choices in love and
marriage.
How else, do you think the heresy about four thousand odd Hindu girls
'disappearing 'after having been lured into love, conversion and
finally being married to Muslim Jihadists,  was given credence by a
judge sitting in the High Court  and by a few top cops?
Aside the mediocrity of the media in propagating the stories of love
jihad, how else people could imagine these stories to be true?
While the tyranny of 'arranged' marriages involving forced payment of
huge sums of dowry and the observance of caste-gender- religion
related formalities are considered  normal,
preferences for man-woman partnerships outside these are considered
threatening not just the family but the very honour of the communities
involved, and even the prestige of the nation!
Women once allowed any say in matters of sexuality,  the whole set up
of patriarchal family together with a militaristic concept of nation
has perhaps to bite the dust!
Can this be the reason why the 'denial' (of agency ) is rather the
rule than  the exception ?