Pillai said 908 people had been killed in Maoist violence in 2009 — the
highest since 1971. “It is quite likely the violence will go up in 2010 or
2011 before the tide begins to turn.”
Unquote
And also:
The government believes it can quell the Maoist threat by 2017-18. Pillai
said the Indian state would reoccupy the rebel-held areas in the next seven
or eight years ..
Unquote

The implications are too sinister.
It's an open declaration that violence will further go up in the immediate
future.
And don't look forward to any early cessation.

So the drummed up paranoia is a just a fiendish ploy.

In the meanwhile, the heat having been turned on, it's no wonder that the
Maoists appear somewhat desperate to have the "peace talks" started.
It's just not Koteswar Rao; the known high profile and articulate supporters
exuding cautious hopes of an early evolution till the other day have now
started pleading for "talks". (Ref. <
http://marxistleninist.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/indian-academic-saroj-giri-on-the-maoist-offer-for-ceasefire-and-talks/>
and just compare with 'The dangers are great, the possibilities immense: On
the current political struggle in India' at <
http://sanhati.com/excerpted/1897/>.]

I/II.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100306/jsp/nation/story_12184398.jsp

2061: Cometh the comet and Maoists
OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

*New Delhi, March 5:* The Maoists plan to rule India by 2050 or 2060, Union
home secretary G.K. Pillai said here today.

If that happens, the rebels will reign over the planet’s most populous
country and its third-largest economy — as India is predicted to be by 2050.
If they grab power by 2060, they will have done it just in time to welcome
the Halley’s Comet as it appears over our skies in 2061 in the course of its
76-year orbit of the solar system.

But don’t panic just yet. The government believes it can quell the Maoist
threat by 2017-18. Pillai said the Indian state would reoccupy the
rebel-held areas in the next seven or eight years — by when, according to
some forecasts, India will be the world’s eighth wealthiest nation with the
highest number of billionaires.

“The overthrow of the Indian state is not something they are willing to do
tomorrow or the day after. Their strategy, according to a booklet they
circulated, is that they are looking at 2050 — some documents say 2060,”
Pillai told a seminar on “Left-wing extremism situation in India”.

The home secretary said intelligence inputs suggested the rebels were
receiving help from retired army personnel in planning strikes.

He said the rebels were well trained, on a par with the armed forces of any
country. “They are very highly motivated, highly trained. I am quite certain
that there are some, may be some ex-army or some people who have been with
them.”

The home secretary said he had based his inference on information that the
Maoists planned every operation in great detail. “After every attack, they
do a post-mortem and analysis. The analysis is as good as (those that the)
armed forces of any country do,” he said.

Pillai added: “Now they can bring many sectors of the Indian economy to
their knees. But they don’t want to do it today. They know that if they do
that now, the state will come very hard (at them). They are not fully
prepared to face the onslaught…. So they would rather go very slowly.”

He conceded that the anti-Maoist operations had not wrought significant
reverses so far, and that the government needed seven to eight years to have
full control over the areas lost to the rebels. “The operations have not hit
even five per cent of hardcore militants. The real armed cadres are yet to
come out.”

Pillai said 908 people had been killed in Maoist violence in 2009 — the
highest since 1971. “It is quite likely the violence will go up in 2010 or
2011 before the tide begins to turn.”

II.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Talk-or-well-attack-cities-Kishanji-warns-Centre/articleshow/5652695.cms
*
*
*Talk or we'll attack cities, Kishanji warns Centre*
SOMEWHERE ON THE BENGAL-JHARKHAND BORDER: The Maoists are now training their
guns on big cities and Kolkata and Bhubaneswar could be among their next
targets if the government does not announce talks immediately, a senior
commander has warned.

The threat came from CPI (Maoist) politburo member and military commander
Koteswar Rao, alias Kishanji. He served the government with an ultimatum
from his jungle hideout on Saturday, threatening to strike cities and towns
if it rejected their offer of talks.

Chief ministers Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and Naveen Patnaik — in Kolkata and
Bhubaneswar respectively — have been insisting that operations against the
Maoists be stepped up.

Kishanji put Jharkhand chief minister Shibu Soren in a different bracket.
"He comes from a tribal family and understands their problems. We will
confront him only when he acts adversely," the Maoist leader said. He also
endorsed Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar's demand that a major share of
mining income should be spent in the area instead of being sent to Delhi.

Asked whether Naxals would be responsible for the bloodbath in case of
intensified strikes, Kishanji said, "Why blame us? The government is not
sure what it wants. We honoured Chidambaram's proposal of a 72-hour
ceasefire before the talks. I gave my cell number to the media and kept it
open for three hours on February 25 waiting for the government to call me.
None of the officials called me."

But many caution that the Maoists are not sincere about talks and will use
the truce as an opportunity to regroup and re-arm themselves.

And as proof, they point out that although Kishanji gave a ceasefire call on
February 23, there was no let up in Maoist attacks. Kishanji blamed
government for not honouring the truce call, saying forces went ahead with
their operations and killed Lalmohan Tudu, leader of People's Committee
against Police Atrocities.

The Maoists will not take it lying down, he asserted. "We will intensify our
strikes if government does not initiate talks. If need be, we will proceed
towards towns and cities." "Governments have been blaming us for violence.
Our party came into being some years ago. What about the phase when we were
not there? What have the governments done for welfare of the adivasis in
last 53 years?" he asked.

He claimed that 90% of adivasis can't avail of government jobs under
reserved category. Quite a number of reserved posts have to be converted to
the general category because the authorities do not get any applications
under this category.

--
Peace Is Doable