I/II.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100329/jsp/frontpage/story_12276090.jsp

<http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100329/jsp/frontpage/story_12276090.jsp>
Kishan bullet buzz
- Statement, intercepts suggest injuryOUR BUREAU

*March 28:* A purported Maoist statement and a string of telephone
intercepts have lent credence to suspicion that Kishan, the guerrillas’
military wing chief, has suffered bullet injuries and is in need of
emergency medical attention.

“We will reply to each bullet that hit Kishenji and comrade Bikram,” said an
email sent to Orissa chief minister Naveen Patnaik and attributed to the
“central military commission of the Peoples’ Liberation Guerrilla Army” on
Saturday. It was not clear whether the Bikram the email referred to is a
former Jadavpur University student or a senior Maoist leader who goes by the
same name.

“As soon as you launch the joint special operation or Green Hunt, we will
start attacks at Bhubaneswar, Cuttack and Puri simultaneously,” the email
said while threatening to blow up the Orissa chief minister’s residence.

Speculation about Kishan’s injury — some police officers said they thought
he was dead — has been rife ever since joint forces in Bengal mounted a
12-hour offensive on Thursday within 30km of Lalgarh in West Midnapore. The
security forces had then described the offensive as the “biggest” yet in
Bengal.

Bengal police believe the 58-year-old Kishan has been trying to sneak into
Jharkhand for treatment after being hit by two bullets in the gun battle on
Thursday when the security forces alone were said to have fired 2,500
rounds.

According to sources, Kishan took part in the encounter on the outskirts of
Lalgarh. “We haven’t faced such intense firing in recent times. It was clear
that there was a big leader there. We think it was Kishan,” said an officer.

Although the police could not find a body in the forest, they were sure of
some casualties.

While the forces were advancing towards a deserted Lakshmanpur village on
Friday afternoon, their telecom wing recorded conversations on “bullet
injuries to Dada”.

People in the region are known to address Kishan, who is also a politburo
member of the CPI (Maoist), as Dada.

Several factors — heightened resistance, the telephone intercepts and local
intelligence — make the police believe that the “Dada” in the conversation
was Kishan. He is believed to have been hit in his shoulder and leg.

Kishan and his aides, earlier accessible to the media after advance notice
of a few hours, were not reachable over the phone. For over a month — since
the security forces’ offensive gained momentum — the Maoists have slipped
into the silence mode.

The police have apparently learnt from the intercepts that “Dada” has been
moved somewhere in Belpahari, about 20km from the Hatishole forest where the
encounter took place, in the past 24 hours.

“Jharkhand is just a few kilometres from Belpahari and it appears he is
trying to sneak into the neighbouring state. Ferrying him in a motorbike
will be risky and he can’t walk on his own. So, they are taking time,” an
officer said.

Security forces have found empty medical kits near a deserted irrigation
department building in a forest adjacent to Lakshmanpur. “It is not possible
to handle bullet injuries in a forest.… We have checked all nursing homes
and health centres in the region. Crossing over to Jharkhand seems to be his
only option,” the officer said.

“The forces have fanned out to prevent Kishan from crossing the metalled
road between Belpahari and Banspahari on his way to the Jharkhand forests,”
he added.

II.

http://www.mynews.in/News/WB_Govt_denies_having_any_info_about_Kishenji's_injury_N42032.html

WB Govt denies having any info about Kishenji's injury

*Posted On: *29-Mar-2010 17:50:31 *By:* Abhijit Das

*Kolkata: *The West Bengal government has no information about the condition
of Maoist leader Kishenji, who was reportedly injured in a gun battle with
the security forces at Lalgarh in West Midnapore district a few days ago.

Denying having any information on whether Kishenji sustained injuries during
an encounter with the security forces at Lalgarh, Chief Secretary Ashok
Mohan Chakraborty today said, ''In fact we have come to know from newspaper
reports that Kishenji was injured during an encounter.''

He also replied in the negative when asked whether they had received any
information at the official level, particularly from intelligence sources.

''It is interesting to note that some newspapers even reported that Kishenji
was no more. But frankly we have no report on his injury or death,'' Mr
Chakraborty reiterated.

Asked about the recent success of the security forces in pinning down the
extremists in Salboni forest and killing several suspected Maoists, Mr
Chakraborty said in order to maintain the pressure Director General Of
Police Bhupinder Singh had rushed to West Midnapore to hold meetings with
the security forces.

--
Peace Is Doable