---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ashok S <ashokan....@gmail.com>
Date: 31 May 2010 12:34
Subject: Fwd: ‘We’re sorry... Target was goods train’///MHA cautious on
derailment, sticks to sabotage theory

‘We’re sorry... Target was goods train’
Madhuparna Das,Subrata Nagchoudhury, Posted: May 31, 2010 at 0911 hrs IST

Sardiha Hours before he was named as the prime suspect in the Jnaneswari
train disaster, Bapi Mahato told The Indian Express that he was “sorry” for
what had happened, and that the targeting of the passenger train was a
“mistake”. Speaking to the Express inside the Romroma forests, 8 km from the
accident site, after much persuasion, Mahato, a key leader of the PCAPA,
said: “We are sorry. We never wanted these innocent civilians to die. Trust
me, we targeted the goods train. But somehow, we were fed wrong information
that the goods train would cross through this track and we removed pandrol
clips from a long stretch. We did not want to harm civilians. There must
have been some miscalculation.”

However, when the Express contacted him again after he had been named the
“mastermind” of Thursday night’s carnage by Bengal DGP Bhupinder Singh and a
manhunt launched for him, Mahato denied all role in the attack.

Speaking over the cellphone, he said: “We are being framed by the CPM and
police. I investigated and came to know that our cadres were not involved in
the sabotage. CPM goons, including Arjun Mahato and Lolit Sahoo of Pathuri
and Kotushol, are the main persons behind the incident... Everybody knows
that a CPM minister held a meeting in Barjudi Primary school just the night
before the incident happened.”

However, based on intercepts of calls among Maoist activists, police and
investigating agencies believe that the Jhargram CPI (Maoist) squad,
including 12 cadres led by a 15-year-old boy named Kanu, and the local unit
of the PCAPA (People’s Committee Against Police Atrocities) removed the
pandrol clips and were helped by villagers. The calls also indicate that
some gangmen of the Railways were “engaged” forcibly to remove the clips
from both the Up and Down tracks. A senior CID official said they had zeroed
in on three of the gangmen.

Raj Kanojia, ADG, CID, who visited the accident site today, said there was
no evidence of a blast. “It was sabotage and it was done by Maoists. There
is no doubt about it,” he said.

Call intercepts also reveal that a quarrel has broken out between senior
leaders over the attack. “One group is blaming another... A blame game has
started within the CPI (Maoist) and the PCAPA,” a senior police official
said.

Bapi Mahato leads the PCAPA in the Guimara-Lalgeria panchayat area under
Jhargram, controlling a vast area covering over 20 villages and railway
stations like Khemashuli, Sardiha, Banstala and Jhargram.

Express reporters could enter villages around the accident site only with
his sanction. The road leading to Romroma forests and the villages
surrounding it were blocked with felled trees. Initially, Mahato was
reluctant to surface from his forest hideout and sent emissaries. He said he
wasn’t feeling well and hadn’t slept properly because of raids by security
forces. It was on persistent request that he agreed to meet.

While regretting the civilian deaths at the meeting with Express, Mahato
justified the Maoist anger. “Whatever we do, we do with the sanction of
local villagers. Our villagers are being tortured mercilessly by security
forces and in the wee hours of Thursday, several teams of security forces
came along with ‘Harmads’ (armed goons backed by the CPM) into villages and
picked up people indiscriminately. So they were seething with anger... you
would understand,” he said.

Asked about his links with Maoists, Mahato evaded a straight answer. “We
stay out of our homes for fear of security forces, and to stay in the
jungles you need arms. There are animals, elephants and one has to have
something to defend himself. The moment we pick up arms, we are branded
Maoists,” he defended.

He was more keen to discuss issues concerning the villagers. He showed an
irrigation canal which, he said, could bring smiles to 16 villages if
maintained properly. “Just Rs 4 lakh is needed from the government to repair
the 32 gates. But those are lying in the same condition since 1971,” said
Mahato.

With the police on the hunt for him, the PCAPA leader said over the phone
that he wasn’t worried. “Nobody can prove my involvement. I am only
concerned and tense about my high school results which will be out in a
couple of days,” Mahato said. A student of Manikpara High School, this is
his third attempt to pass high school.

Aged 25, he joined the PCAPA a year and a half ago and was assigned the task
of leading the Anchal Committee after the CPI (Maoist) Central Committee
expelled three leaders in the area for the October 2009 detainment of
Rajdhani Express. The next month, at a meeting in Romroma forests, attended
by senior leaders including Bikash, Mahato was made the leader of the PCAPA.

Mahato’s father Khudiram was reportedly arrested in 1994 when Bapi was just
10. “I wanted to grow up normally. But one day some miscreants hurled a bomb
at a neighbour’s house. My father was unnecessarily picked up and jailed for
several years.”

In 2008, Mahato said, he applied for a CRPF constable’s job. “I cleared, but
I was asked to deposit a huge sum for the job. I did not have the money.”

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Were-sorry-Target-was-goods-train/627088/
=======================================
MHA cautious on derailment, sticks to sabotage theory
TNN, May 29, 2010, 03.30am IST

NEW DELHI: With no evidence of an explosion so far, the Centre claimed that
West Midnapore train derailment was an act of sabotage. Within hours of the
tragedy, home minister P Chidambaram said the derailment appeared to be an
act of sabotage but it was not yet clear whether explosives were used to
blast the tracks. "It appears to be a case of sabotage where a portion of
the railway track was removed.

Whether explosives were used is not yet clear," he said in a statement.

According to reports, the Maoist backed People's Committee against Police
Atrocities (PCPA) has taken responsibility for the incident.

Chidambaram said the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) had deployed
four teams to assist rail authorities in relief operations. "A total of 132
personnel with necessary equipment have reached the site of the tragedy and
are assisting the state government and railway authorities," he said. The
minister said he was deeply saddened by the tragedy that struck the
Howrah-Kurla Gyaneshwari Express in West Midnapore district.

Chidambaram said every effort was being made to rush the injured to hospital
for treatment and helicopters had been pressed into service for the purpose.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/MHA-cautious-on-derailment-sticks-to-sabotage-theory/articleshow/5987061.cms
==============
PCPA denies hand in West Bengal train derailment, alleges CPM role
PTI, May 30, 2010, 06.09pm IST

MIDNAPORE: Amidst allegations that the People's Committee against Police
Atrocities played a role in Jnaneswari Express derailment, the Maoist-backed
organisation on Sunday denied any involvement in the incident and charged
the CPM with "hatching the plot".

"We have no intention to target trains and we condemn and mourn such a
colossal loss of civilian lives," PCPA convener, Asit Mahato said and
charged the CPM "with hatching the plot".

A day after the state police claimed to have identified two persons of the
PCPA recently released on bail having a hand in the derailment of the
train's 13 coaches, Mahato said, "politically motivated statements are being
issued to separate us from the masses."

"We will take out a procession in the Jangalmahal to mourn the dead in the
train disaster. We strongly condemn such acts which take lives of common,
innocent men and we express deep shock," Mahato said.

Countering police's claim, the PCPA leader named four CPM district and local
leaders and alleged "under their leadership, the CPM has opened camps in the
last 15 days at Burjoli, Kolla, Patri and Dahimara villages close to Sardiha
where the express train derailed."

The mishap that occurred in the wee hours on Friday has claimed 148 lives so
far.

Mahato further alleged the four CPM leaders "conspired to create panic by
triggering a train mishap and the objective is to malign us and take us away
from the people in Jangalmahal by creating a bad name for us."

The PCPA leader said "CPM had plans to politically isolate railway minister
Mamata Banerjee so that she is forced to resign under directive of the UPA
government after the train mishap".

"We strongly protest against such a conspiracy by the CPM which led to such
a heinous crime," Mahato said.

The Railway minister had said on Sunday that there was "a political
conspiracy" in the derailment of the Jnaneswari Express two days ahead of
the civic polls in the state.

"Whoever did it... it was a political conspiracy. The accident has happened
two days before the (civic) election. One may be politically against us, but
I feel bad the way the incident was engineered to fulfil one's political
interests", Banerjee had said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/PCPA-denies-hand-in-West-Bengal-train-derailment-alleges-CPM-role/articleshow/5991365.cms
===================
Train toll 148, all bodies are found, PCPA claims no role
May 31st, 2010
The toll in Saturday’s derailment of the Mumbai-bound Gyaneswari Express
rose to over 148 on Sunday as more bodies were extricated from the wreckage
of the mangled coaches. “All bodies from the spot have been recovered. Train
services along the route resumed at 2.50 am Sunday morning,” South Eastern
Railway’s Kharagpur divisional railway manager Anil Handa said.

District magistrate N.S. Nigam and hospital sources put the toll at 148.All
trains plying in the Sardiha and Khemasuli route in West Midnapore district
will now have a speed limit of 15 kmph, Mr Handa said.Around 145 passengers
are being treated in various hospitals in Midnapore, Kharagpur and Kolkata,
he added.

The Maoist-backed People’s Committee against Police Atrocities (PCPA), which
was alleged to have been responsible for the derailment, on Sunday disowned
any hand in it and accused the CPI(M) of “hatching the plot”.Said PCPA
convenor Asit Mahato: “We have no intention to target trains, and we condemn
and mourn such a colossal loss of civilian lives.”

A six-member state CID team headed by additional DGP Raj Kanojia,
accompanied by forensic experts, visited the derailment site on Sunday. —PTI
http://www.asianage.com/india/train-toll-148-all-bodies-are-found-pcpa-claims-no-role-549
=====================================
IANS
Different UPA voices on cause of rail accident
2010-05-28 23:30:00

Ministers of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Friday spoke in different
voices on the cause of the rail accident in West Midnapore district of West
Bengal that killed at least 76 people.

While Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee said the blast was caused by a blast,
Home Minister P. Chidambaram said he suspected sabotage behind the
derailment of the Mumbai-bound train. Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who
belongs to West Bengal, said he did not know the reason of the accident and
would not comment on it.

Banerjee, who visited the site of accident in Jhargram, told reporters that
the mishap occurred due to a bomb blast which blew up a portion of the
tracks.

The minister said the timing of the blast coincided with the arrival of a
speeding freight train, which tore into three of the coaches of the derailed
Gyaneshwari Express.

'It is the sheer timing. That's the reason the tragedy took a turn for the
worst,' the railway minister said.

Chidambaram said he suspected sabotage behind the derailment of the train
though it was unclear whether explosives were used.

'It appears to be a case of sabotage where a portion of the railway track
was removed. Whether explosives were used is not yet clear,' the minister
said in a statement. The statement, however, did not directly blame Maoist
guerrillas for the accident.

Mukherjee told reporters 'I don't exactly know the reason' for the train
accident and that he was not in a position to say if it was caused by a
blast or sabotage.
http://sify.com/news/Different-UPA-voices-on-cause-of-rail-accident-news-National-kf2x4bhgbjc.html
=================
Top UPA Ministers divided?
NDTV Correspondent, Friday May 28, 2010, New Delhi

Barely a week after Prime Minister asked his Ministers not to air their
difference of opinion in the public, the top UPA Ministers have again been
found speaking in different voices over the train accident in West Bengal's
Midnapore, in which 65 people have been killed.

The question now is: What caused the derailment?

While Home Minister P Chidambaram said that train derailment in West Bengal
appears to be a case of sabotage, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee said a
blast as part of a "calculated attack" caused the Gyaneshwari Express to
first derail and then get hit by a goods train.

"It appears to be a case of sabotage where a portion of the railway track
was removed. Whether explosives were used is not yet clear," Chidambaram
said in a statement.

The Railway Minister further said that TNT explosives and Gelatine sticks
were found at the accident site.

"It is a bomb blast case. After the blast, the train derailed and the
accident happened. According to information given by Railway Police Force
and officials TNT and Gelatine sticks were found at the accident," Banerjee
told reporters shortly after visiting the spot.

Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, however, contradicted the statements of
both the ministers and said, "I don't know what is the cause. When I last
checked, there was no evidence of either an explosion or sabotage activity."

Meanwhile, the West Bengal police have said that Maoist-backed organisation
People's Committee against Police Atrocities (PCPA) has claimed
responsibility for the accident. "Two posters belonging to the Maoist-backed
PCPA have been found at the site," West Bengal Director General of Police
Bhupinder Singh told NDTV.

Earlier, West Bengal's Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Surojit
Karpurokayastha said that according to preliminary investigation, fish
plates were found removed at the derailment site.

There is confusion over whether a bomb blast by Naxals or an act of sabotage
by removal of fish plates led to the derailment. Whether explosives were
used is not yet clear. (With inputs from agencies)

--
Ashok