Karnataka police slaps intimidation charge on Kerala journalist
November 28, 2010
By admin <http://www.countermedia.in/?author=1>

The Karnataka police has slapped two cases under IPC 506 against
*Tehelka*magazine’s Kerala correspondent K. K. Shahina and four others
for allegedly
intimidating witnesses in the Bengaluru blast case. Abdul Nasar Mahdani,
Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party of Kerala, is an accused in the
blast case.

Mahdani was acquitted in the Coimbatore blast case in 2007 after he had
spent nearly 10 years in jail without bail or parole. On his return to
Kerala he was under police protection in view of possible threat to his
life. According to the Karmataka police he had travelled secretly from
Kerala to the Lakkeri estate in Kodagu and participated in the conspiracy to
set off explosions in Bengaluru.

The Karnataka police arrested Mahdani from Karunagapally, near Kollam, on
August 17. In a report, published in *Tehelka* a week later, Shahina had
cast doubts on the police case. She quoted Jose Varghese, a prime witness
whose purported testimony was the basis of the police action, as saying,
“This is unbelievable. I never imagined that the police could fabricate a
case like this.”

This month she visited Karnataka to ascertain the veracity of of the
testimony of some other witnesses cited by the police. In a report
headlined, “Why is this man still in
prison?<http://www.tehelka.com/story_main48.asp?filename=Ne041210Why_is_this.asp>”,
appearing in the latest issue of *Tehelka* (dated December 4, 2010) she
states that K.K.Yoganand and a few Bharatiya Janata Party workers, including
the vice-president of the panchayat, whom she met at Igoor in Hassan
district, disclosed that, contrary to what the police says in the
charge-sheet, they had not seen Mahdanni in that area.

In a side story, she adds, “While on our way from Hosathotta to a secret
location where we had planned to meet Rafeeq, another witness, we were
stopped by the police. The Circle Inspector of Hosathotta police station,
despite being told that we were from the media, warned us that we are not
allowed ‘to do such things here’.

“A police vehicle tailed us for a while en route to Madikeri to ensure that
we had left. After an hour, we changed vehicles and kept our appointment
with Rafeeq.

“On our way back, at 9.30 pm, I received a call from the Circle Inspector.
The question was simple: ‘Are you a terrorist?’ I did not know whether to
laugh or cry. He then explained that the villagers were scared and suspected
that we were terrorists. He wanted to confirm my identity by talking to my
editor.

“The next day, three Kannada newspapers, *Sakthi, Prajavani and Kannada
Prabha, *carried a story about a “suspicious” visit by a “group of Muslims”
to the place. The newspapers said police were not sure about the identity of
the woman, though she had showed a TEHELKA identity card!”

In conclusion, she writes, “Now I know how a terrorist is ‘made’. If this is
how police build a case against a ‘terrorist’, easily raising a false alarm,
then one has to worry about how the dominant discourse of terrorism works
against a country and its people.”

The Malayalam daily,
Mathrubhumi<http://www.mathrubhumi.com/story.php?id=142958>,
in a report from Bengaluru said police had registered a case against Shahina
and four others for allegedly intimidating blast case witnesses.

The paper quoted Manjunath, Superintendent of Police, Kodagu, as saying
efforts were on to trace the four men who were with Shahina. The officer
declined to state whether the cases were registered on the basis of
complaints received from the witnesses.

Rights activists have opened a “Protest repression, Support K K
Shanina<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_169124966444299&id=169137889776340>”
page on FaceBook. The message on the page says, “Shahina K K, a journalist
with *Tehelka* who recently wrote an article which challenged the police
story on Abdul Nazar Madani has been booked under IPC 506 for ‘intimidating
the witnesses in the Madani case’!!! This is yet another shocking case in
which the State is so easily suppressing voices that raise any kind of
resistance. We need to protest against this strongly and think of making our
collective voices heard! Please join and Support!”

from www.countermedia.in