---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marxist Front <marxistfr...@yahoo.co.in>
Date: Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM
Subject: [GreenLeft_discussion] Reception for the Comrades who have returned
from Gaza; 10 January 2011 at the Gandhi Peace Foundation at 5.30pm.
To: GreenLeft_discussion <greenleft_discuss...@yahoogroups.com>

Dear Friend,

NTUI invites you to a reception for the Comrades who have returned from Gaza
this weekend, on 10 January 2011 at the Gandhi Peace Foundation, 221/223
Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Marg, New Delhi 110002 at 5.30pm.

Forty two days after they began their journey from Rajghat in Delhi, on 2
December 2010 to break the Israeli siege, the Asia to Gaza Caravan – ASIA
ONE - finally crossed over to the Gaza Strip through the Rafah crossing on
the early morning of 3 January and was welcomed by besieged Gaza residents.

The first ever aid convoy from the southern hemisphere with 170 human rights
activists from 18 Asian countries of which only 108 members who were allowed
to enter Egypt gathered at the crossing. The caravan hit a deadlock with the
Egyptian government when its Iranian and Jordanian members were denied
access citing "security and organisational reasons," without giving further
details.

The Asia to Gaza Solidarity Caravan travelled from Rajghat in Delhi, through
Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Lebanon and Syria. The caravan, in its journey of
over 7000 km, collected $1 million worth of aid supplies including four
ambulances, medical supplies and essential food supplies.

Israel’s occupation of Palestinian and Arab territories has lasted for
decades in violation of international law, international humanitarian law
and numerous United Nations resolutions. The occupation of Palestine must
end! Gaza has been turned into a vast prison with the Palestinian population
there under continuous, murderous assaults and a permanent state of siege.
The Palestinian people must have the freedom to exercise their right to
self-determination including their right to establish, on all the
territories that Israel has occupied, an independent state of their own in
any manner they see fit. The structure of apartheid that Israel has
established must be dismantled and it must grant equal rights to all its
citizens including the right of return to the Palestinians refugees. The
Palestinians have the right to resist the occupation through all legitimate
means.

NTUI has in the past supported actions in solidarity for the people of
Palestine. We have supported the International Call for Boycott, Divestment
and Sanctions against Israel. In consonance with our existing position on
India’s foreign policy, as articulated in our statement of 7-8 December 2006
with other organisations and our statement on the events in Mumbai on 26
November 2008, we have been demanding that the Government of India brings to
end all economic and military relations with Israel and pursues an
independent foreign policy. In February 2010 we also signed the Cairo
Declaration.

It is against this background, that NTUI has been a part of the campaign,
‘India Lifeline to Gaza’. This process was initiated by Indian people’s
movements, social movements, trade unions, civil society organisations and
multi-faith and ecumenical organisations. India Lifeline to Gaza is a
constituent of the ‘Asian People’s Solidarity for Palestine’. This struggle
is broad-based, varied and multi-dimensional. It is humanitarian and for
peace, freedom and human dignity. It is against occupation, imperialism,
apartheid, Zionism and all forms of discrimination including religious
discrimination.

Re-shaping by peoples’ movements, of international politics and national
foreign policy cannot be done in isolation. Building a resistance in support
of the Palestinian resistance within national boundaries would only be
symbolic. There is a clear need to build an alliance of organisations in the
global south, especially in Asia. In recognition of this, building an Asian
alliance became paramount hence the solidarity came to take the shape of an
overland caravan.

All be it, a small step, we believe this is a step in the right direction
that will provide the basis for us to add strength and depth to the struggle
of the Asian peoples’ in resisting imperialist globalisation.

We hope you will be able to join us on 10 January 2011 at the Gandhi Peace
Foundation at 5.30pm.

Comradely,

Gautam Mody
Secretary

--
New Trade Union Initiative (NTUI)
B-137, First Floor, Dayanand Colony,

__._,_.___
 Reply to
sender<marxistfr...@yahoo.co.in?subject=re%3a%20reception%20for%20the%20comrades%20who%20have%20returned%20from%20gaza%3b%2010%20january%202011%20at%20the%20gandhi%20peace%20foundation%20at%205%2e30pm%2e>|
group<greenleft_discuss...@yahoogroups.com?subject=re%3a%20reception%20for%20the%20comrades%20who%20have%20returned%20from%20gaza%3b%2010%20january%202011%20at%20the%20gandhi%20peace%20foundation%20at%205%2e30pm%2e>|
via web
post<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GreenLeft_discussion/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxdmZ1ZnR0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyMzc3NzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwNjgyBG1zZ0lkAzczMDA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTI5NDU2NjgyOQ--?act=reply&messageNum=73009>|
Start
a New
Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GreenLeft_discussion/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNTBscWg1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyMzc3NzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwNjgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI5NDU2NjgyOQ-->
Messages in this
topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GreenLeft_discussion/message/73009;_ylc=X3oDMTM2YjU2NmozBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyMzc3NzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwNjgyBG1zZ0lkAzczMDA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI5NDU2NjgyOQR0cGNJZAM3MzAwOQ-->(
1)
Recent Activity:

Visit Your
Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GreenLeft_discussion;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZjlyazZuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyMzc3NzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwNjgyBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTI5NDU2NjgyOA-->
Green Left Weekly depends on your support!

Subscribe to Green Left Weekly!
http://www.greenleft.org.au/subscribe.htm

Make a donation to help Green Left Weekly continue!
http://www.greenleft.org.au/fogl.htm

[image: Yahoo!
Switch to:
Text-Only<greenleft_discussion-traditio...@yahoogroups.com?subject=change+delivery+format:+Traditional>,