---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: venukm <kmvenuan...@gmail.com>
Date: Jul 27, 7:51 am
Subject: Excerpts From SC Judgment (July 5,2011: In Nandini Sunder and
Others Vs State of Chathisghad)
To: Media Critique and Debate

Look ,this is a political document coming down heavily on the Indian
state agencies in their failure to protect its own citizens and to
maintain the Rule of Law.
(I would have liked to upload the full text here;but not finding the
option here to upload a document)

"...2. As we heard the instant matters before us, we could not but
help be reminded of the novella, “Heart of Darkness” by
Joseph Conrad, who perceived darkness at three levels: (1)
the darkness of the forest, representing a struggle for
life and the sublime; (ii) the darkness of colonial
expansion for resources; and finally (iii) the darkness,
represented by inhumanity and evil, to which individual
human beings are capable of descending, when supreme and
unaccounted force is vested, rationalized by a warped world
view that parades itself as pragmatic and inevitable, in
each individual level of command. Set against the backdrop
of resource rich darkness of the African tropical forests,
the brutal ivory trade sought to be expanded by the
imperialist-capitalist expansionary policy of European
powers, Joseph Conrad describes the grisly, and the macabre
states of mind and justifications advanced by men, who
secure and wield force without reason, sans humanity, and
any sense of balance. The main perpetrator in the novella,
Kurtz, breathes his last with the words: “The horror! The
horror!”1 Conrad characterized the actual circumstances in
Congo between 1890 and 1910, based on his personal
experiences there, as “the vilest scramble for loot that
ever disfigured the history of human conscience.” 2
3. As we heard more and more about the situation in
Chattisgarh, and the justifications being sought to be
pressed upon us by the respondents, it began to become
1 Joseph Conrad – Heart of Darkness and Selected Short Fiction (Barnes
and Noble Classics, 2003).
2 Joseph Conrad“Geography and Some Explorers”, National Geography
magazine, Vol 45, 1924.
5
clear to us that the respondents were envisioning modes of
state action that would seriously undermine constitutional
values. This may cause grievous harm to national interests,
particularly its goals of assuring human dignity, with
fraternity amongst groups, and the nations unity and
integrity. Given humanity’s collective experience with
unchecked power, which becomes its own principle, and its
practice its own raison d’etre, resulting in the eventual
dehumanization of all the people, the scouring of the earth
by the unquenchable thirst for natural resources by
imperialist powers, and the horrors of two World Wars,
modern constitutionalism posits that no wielder of power
should be allowed to claim the right to perpetrate state’s
violence against any one, much less its own citizens,
unchecked by law, and notions of innate human dignity of
every individual. Through the course of these proceedings,
as a hazy picture of events and circumstances in some
districts of Chattisgarh emerged, we could not but arrive
at the conclusion that the respondents were seeking to put
us on a course of constitutional actions whereby we would
also have to exclaim, at the end of it all: “the horror,
the horror..."