I/III.
http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/gaza-ceasefire-talks-intensify-palestinian-death-toll-exceeds-700
Gaza ceasefire talks intensify as Palestinian death toll exceeds 700
Palestinians women hold night prayers in front of the Dome of the Rock at
the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in the Old City of Jerusalem in support of
Palestinians in Gaza on July 23, 2014, during Israel's military operation
in the Gaza Strip. (Photo: AFP - Ahmad Gharabli)

Published Thursday, July 24, 2014

*Updated at 2:47 am:* Talks to end the 16-day assault by Israel on the Gaza
Strip have intensified, with US Secretary of State John Kerry shuttling
between Jerusalem and Cairo in a bid to forge a truce.

Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal said on Wednesday there had been progress in
negotiations to end the Gaza conflict but that it needed detailed
guarantees that Israel would ease its blockade of the enclave.

A Hamas official acknowledged that the movement realized that getting
Israel to end the eight-year siege in tandem with a ceasefire was
unrealistic.

"There needs to be an agreement on the principles, the schedule (for ending
the blockade) and the mechanism," the official said.

Hamas's chief Khaled Meshaal on Wednesday again insisted on a ceasefire
only after an end to the siege, in force since 2006.

The official, who works closely with Meshaal, said however that they
understood that the blockade would be eased only after the ceasefire, but
they required a schedule in place first.

The Israeli assault on Gaza has killed at least 706 Palestinians and
wounded more than 4,519, according to Gaza health ministry sources.

Meanwhile, 34 Israelis -- 32 of whom soldiers --and a Thai worker died in
Israel.

The official said he hoped the negotiations would bear fruit "in a few
days."

"The atmosphere in the talks is positive," he told AFP in a telephone
interview.

Kerry had also said negotiations were making progress. "But there is still
work to be done," he told reporters in Jerusalem.

Aides travelling with Kerry voiced hope that the diplomat could find a way
for Israel and Hamas to end the violence and then negotiate indirectly.

"There are a number of different ideas out there for how the ceasefire
could work - there are a number of different formulas - and we're open to
any of them," a senior US official said after Kerry met Israel's Prime
Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The Hamas official said it required firm guarantees and details before
signing off an a truce.

"There should be guarantees by the parties demanding a ceasefire," he
added, referring to the United States but also to Egypt, which controls the
Rafah border crossing with Gaza.

The official asked to remain anonymous because he was not authorized to
share details of the negotiations.

Egypt brokered a truce in 2012. But its new President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi,
who overthrew the Islamist President Mohammed Mursi last year, has been
hostile to Hamas.

Meshaal, who is based in the Qatari capital Doha, said in a press
conference that Washington had offered to "guarantee" such an agreement,
but it had a track record of not following through.

Another Hamas official, Osama Hamdan, said Kerry's commitments were vague.

"There are no American guarantees," he said in an interview with the
Qatari-owned Al-Jazeera broadcaster.

"There is talk that guarantees will come," he said, adding that Hamas
required clarifications.

Hamas's position has been bolstered by support from Palestinian Authority
President Mahmoud Abbas, an opponent of the Islamists before agreeing a
unity deal with them in April.

Abbas's PLO has said it agreed with Hamas's demands, which also include
freeing Palestinian prisoners. He met Kerry in Ramallah on Wednesday.

*UN launches human rights investigation*

Meanwhile, the UN Human Rights Council on Wednesday launched a probe into
the Gaza offensive, backing calls by the Palestinians to hold Israel to
account despite fierce opposition from the Zionist state.

The decision came after a marathon seven-hour emergency session of the top
UN human rights body, where the Israelis and the Palestinians traded
accusations over war crimes.

The 47-member council backed a Palestinian-drafted resolution by 29 votes,
with Arab and fellow Muslim countries joined by China and Russia, plus
Latin American and African nations.

The United States was the sole member to vote against. The 17 abstentions
were by the council's European members, plus Japan and South Korea.

The probe team, yet to be appointed, is tasked with reporting back to the
council by March.

*(AFP, Al-Akhbar)*
II/III.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/india-votes-in-support-of-un-human-rights-council-resolution-on-gaza/articleshow/38938917.cms

India votes in support of UN Human Rights Council resolution on Gaza

By PTI | 24 Jul, 2014, 01.28AM IST

GENEVA: India along with BRICS countries today voted in support of a UN
Human Rights Council resolution to launch a probe into Israel's offensive
on Gaza.

India joined Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa to vote for a
Palestinian-drafted resolution on "Ensuring Respect for international law
in The Occupied Palestinian Territories, including East Jersusalem".

In the 46-member council, 29 countries voted in support of the resolution
while 17 nations abstained.

The US was the only nation to vote against the resolution. European
countries abstained.

The voting came as bloodbath in the Gaza Strip continued unabated today
with Israel and Hamas refusing to back down in the 16-day conflict that has
killed over 680 Palestinians and 31 Israelis.

Earlier, India asked Israel and Palestine to demonstrate political will to
agree to a ceasefire and return to the negotiating table.

"We remain hopeful that a sustainable ceasefire will be reached between the
two sides, linked to the resumption of the peace process, for a
comprehensive resolution of the Palestinian issue," India's Permanent
Representative to the UN Asoke Mukerji said at the UN Security Council open
debate on 'The Situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian
Question'.

He said India is "deeply concerned" at the steep escalation in the conflict
between Israel and Palestine that has resulted in a large number of
civilian casualties and heavy damage to property.

III.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/24/us-mideast-gaza-idUSKBN0FT06I20140724

U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700

BY NIDAL AL-MUGHRABI
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=nidalal.mughrabi&;>
 AND DAN WILLIAMS
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=dan.williams&;>

GAZA/JERUSALEM Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:15am EDT

1 OF 4. Smokes rises during an Israeli ground offensive in the east of Gaza
City July 23, 2014.

CREDIT: REUTERS/AHMED ZAKOT


(Reuters) - Israel won a partial reprieve from the economic pain of its
Gaza war on Thursday with the lifting of a U.S. ban on commercial flights
to Tel Aviv, while continued fighting pushed the Palestinian death toll
over 700.

A truce remained elusive despise intensive mediation efforts. Israel says
it needs more time to eradicate rocket stocks and cross-border tunnels in
the Gaza Strip and Hamas Islamists demand the blockade on the enclave be
lifted.

An Egyptian official said on Wednesday that a more limited humanitarian
ceasefire may go into effect by the weekend, in time for the Eid al-Fitr
festival, Islam's biggest annual celebration that follows the fasting month
of Ramadan.

But the United States, whose Secretary of State John Kerry is spearheading
the indirect negotiations, was more circumspect.

"It would not be accurate to say that we expect a ceasefire by the
weekend," said a senior U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
"We are continuing to work on it, but it is not set at this point."

The death toll in Gaza rose above 700 on Thursday as Israeli tank fire
before dawn killed 16 people in the Hamas-dominated coastal territory,
including six members of the same family, Palestinian health officials said.

Israel has lost 32 soldiers to clashes inside Gaza and with Hamas raiders
who have slipped across the fortified frontier in tunnels. Rocket and
mortar shelling by Hamas and other Palestinian guerrillas has killed three
civilians in Israel.

Such shelling surged last month as Israel cracked down on Hamas in the
occupied West Bank, triggering the July 8 air and sea barrage in Gaza that
escalated into an invasion a week ago.

Though Israel's Iron Dome rocket interceptor has shot down most of the
rockets fired from Gaza, one that came close to Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion
Airport on Tuesday prompted the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
to bar American flights there.

The ensuing wave of cancellations by foreign airlines emptied Israel's
usually bustling international gateway and hurt its hi-tech economy at the
height of summer tourist season. It was hailed as a "victory" by Hamas, and
prompted an appeal by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Kerry to
intervene.

FLIGHTS TO RESUME

Saying it had reviewed the security situation, the FAA canceled the ban
late on Wednesday, and Israel predicted take-offs and landings by U.S.
carriers would resume on Thursday though European airlines might take
longer to follow suit.

"The Europeans did not really deliberate over this, but acted more as a
follow-up to the American decision," said Gadi Regev, chief of staff for
Israel's Civil Aviation Authority.

In what appeared to be let-up in Palestinian attacks, the Israeli military
said on Thursday only one rocket had been launched from Gaza overnight. It
fell wide, causing no damage.

Israel's security cabinet released no decision after meeting late into the
night on a proposed humanitarian truce under which fighting would cease
immediately but negotiations for terms for an extended deal would begin
only in several days' time.

An Israeli official briefed on the deliberations said the army required
four of five days to destroy cross-border tunnels and rocket arsenals, but
acknowledged Palestinians were unlikely to hold fire while those missions
continued on the ground.

Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal said his fighters had made gains against Israel
and voiced support for a humanitarian truce, but only if Israel eased
restrictions on Gaza's 1.8 million Palestinians, who are also under an
embargo by next-door Egypt.

"Let's agree first on the demands and on implementing them and then we can
agree on the zero hour for a ceasefire ... We will not accept any proposal
that does not lift the blockade ... We do not desire war and we do not want
it to continue but we will not be broken by it," Meshaal said on Wednesday
in Qatar.

Israel also came under criticism from the U.N. High Commissioner for Human
Rights Navi Pillay, who said there was "a strong possibility" Israel was
committing war crimes in Gaza, where 703 Palestinians, mostly civilians,
have been killed in the fighting.

Pillay also condemned indiscriminate Islamist rocket fire out of Gaza, and
the United Nations Human Rights Council said it would launch an
international inquiry into alleged violations.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reacted furiously.

"The decision today by the HRC is a travesty," he said in a statement. "The
HRC should be launching an investigation into Hamas's decision to turn
hospitals into military command centers, use schools as weapons depots and
place missile batteries next to playgrounds, private homes and mosques."

ROCKETS IN SCHOOLS

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who has also been on a truce-seeking
mission, lashed out at militants in Gaza by expressing "outrage and regret"
at rockets found inside a U.N. school for refugees, for the second time
during the conflict.

Storing the rockets in the schools "turned schools into potentially
military targets, endangering the lives of innocent children," U.N.
employees and the tens of thousands of Palestinians seeking shelter at Gaza
schools from the fighting, Ban said. He urged an investigation.

Kerry returned to Egypt late on Wednesday after meeting in Jerusalem and
the West Bank with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Ban and a
grim-faced Netanyahu.

"We have certainly made some steps forward. There is still work to be
done," said Kerry, on one of his most intensive regional visits since
Netanyahu called off U.S.-sponsored peace negotiations over Abbas's
power-share deal with Hamas in April.

The military says one of its soldiers is also missing and believes he might
be dead. Hamas says it has captured him, but has not released a picture of
him in their hands.

Gaza has been rocked by regular bouts of violence since Israel unilaterally
pulled out of the territory in 2005.

Hamas, which rejects Israel's right to exist, balked at Egypt's proposal
for an unconditional truce, saying its conditions had to be met in full
before any end to the conflict.

The war is exacting a heavy toll on impoverished Gaza. Palestinian
officials say at least 475 houses have been destroyed by Israeli fire and
2,644 damaged. Some 46 schools, 56 mosques and seven hospitals have also
suffered varying degrees of destruction.

(Additional reporting by Ori Lewis
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=ori.lewis&;>,
Maayan
Lubell
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=maayanlubell&;> in
Jerusalem, Ali Sawafta
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=ali.sawafta&;> in
Ramallah,Arshad Mohammed
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=arshad.mohammed&;>
 and Yasmine Saleh
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=yasminesaleh&;> in
Cairo, Amena Bakr
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=amena.bakr&;> in
Doha and Stephanie Nebehay
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=stephanienebehay&;>
in
Geneva; Writing by Allyn Fisher-Ilan
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=allyn.fisher.ilan&;>;
Editing by Mohammad Zargham
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=mohammad.zargham&;>
 andNick Macfie
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=nick.macfie&;>)




-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to