I/III. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/agra/RSSs-ghar-wapsi-face-Rajeshwar-Singh-is-back-with-an-elevation/articleshow/46774886.cms
RSS's ghar wapsi face, Rajeshwar Singh, is back with an elevation Eram Agha,TNN | Apr 2, 2015, 04.20 AM IST ALIGARH: Dharam Jagran Samaj's Rajeshwar Singh, the force behind the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh's high-octane ghar wapsi programme in western Uttar Pradesh last year, who was quietly sent on a three-month leave by the RSS later, is back with an elevation. From the fringe body, Singh has now been promoted to the parent organization. According to regional RSS leaders, this is indeed a shot in the arm for Singh. Singh's new designation is Chhetra Pracharak (Karyakari Sadasyata) and he will work towards augmenting the ranks of the RSS in the region. In his earlier role, he was Dharam Jagran Samaj (DJS) coordinator for western UP and Uttarakhand. Dinesh Kumar, the Braj prant pracharak of Sangh, said, "Rajeshwar Singh worked with one sangathan and he is now back with the matra sangathan (parent organization), which is a good thing for any pracharak." Kumar clarified that Singh was not dumped and had gone on leave in January as he wasn't keeping well. Singh, who will now be shifting base to Meerut from Agra on April 7, told TOI over phone, "According to our internal hierarchy, RSS is at the top, followed by VHP and others, while DJS is at the bottom of the rung. I worked in DJS since 1996 and now I am back with the matra sangathan." Singh made news last year in August when he converted 72 Valmiki families to Christianity in Asroi village here at a ghar wapsi event. Later, he conducted another "reconversion" in Hasayan. In December, when 200 Muslim families were converted to Hinduism in Agra, he announced he will hold a bigger ghar wapsi event at Maheshwari College in Aligarh on Christmas day, 2014, putting the Narendra Modi government at the Centre in great discomfort. The Opposition had latched on to the controversy and raised the issue for almost two weeks in Parliament, forcing the NDA government to send out signals that Hindutva hotheads need to be reined in. He was subsequently sent on a leave. Talking about his new role, Singh said, "I have continuously worked for the Sangh's campaigns and programmes. I will wait for the orders. Even earlier, there were orders to conduct ghar wapsi, which I followed." "My hard work and struggles have paid off as I am now associated (directly) with RSS," he said, adding that he had proceeded on leave in January because of his failing health and not for any other reason. Singh is a chronic diabetic. II/III. http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/kolkata/kolkata-madrasa-head-attacked-for-trying-to-be-a-rushdie/ CITIES THURSDAY, APR 02, 2015 "I am not anti-Islam. But my free thinking is not accepted by fundamentalist Muslims'. Written by Subrata Nagchowdhury | Kolkata | Published on:April 1, 2015 1:43 am Masum Akhtar, a newspaper columnist and the headmaster of a madrasa in Kolkata's Metiabruz area, was attacked by suspected Muslim hardliners on March 26. Speaking to The Indian Express soon after being discharged from the hospital, Akhtar said he feared for his life and would approach Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for help. Akhtar was treated for head injuries after a mob beat him with iron rods. "My life is in danger. I am physically brutalised and mentally traumatised. There is no place for free thinking in the society," he said. The provocation for the attack, he said, seems to be a class he took earlier this month, in which he spoke about Islam. "I am afraid some students misinterpreted my teaching and circulated that in the area, after which the attack was organised," Akhtar said. RELATED 'Had To Circulate Video Saying I Am A Hindu, Not Linked To FB Posts' Banana Case Lasts 8 Yrs,Lands Man To Jail For Five Months To Avoid More Riots,They Did Not Get Son S Body Home Akhtar said he had also written an article on the battle of Karbala in the Dainik Statesman last year, giving a historical perspective to the event. After that, he started receiving threatening calls from those who would mock him: "Are you trying to become another Salman Rushdie or Tasleema Nasreen? You will be eliminated." Akhtar then wrote an article in the Ananda Bazar Patrika in the wake of the Burdwan blast. He said that if any madrasa was found to be involved in illegal activities, strong action should be taken against it. Officer in-charge of Rajabagan police station S Bhattacharjee said that no arrests had been made so far. "I have received a counter FIR in which local Muslims have alleged that the teacher had been hurting the community's feelings through various religious statements that go against Islam," Bhattacharjee said. On March 26, Akhtar made a call to the police after a mob surrounded his school. Police arrived at the scene, but when they were trying to get him out, the mob pounced on him. Akhtar said he had been told by the police that "maulvis and imams in Metiabruz area as well as other parts of the city have ruled against me and I should be careful". "The fight is between true Islamists and the distorted ones. I am not anti-Islam. But my free thinking is not accepted by fundamentalist Muslims who are doing a great harm to the religion," he said. III. http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/kolkata/assaulted-madrasa-teacher-likely-to-lose-job-for-creating-tension/99/ CITIES THURSDAY, APR 02, 2015 Assaulted madrasa teacher likely to lose job 'for creating tension' Akhtar, headmaster of a madrasa in Metiabruz, said he will resume office only if he is provided protection. By: Express News Service | Kolkata | Updated: April 2, 2015 1:26 am Yet to come out of shock and trauma after he was attacked by Muslim hardliners for "trying to become another Salman Rushdie or Tasleema Nasreen", newspaper columnist Kazi Masum Akhtar is now likely to lose his job as the headmaster of a madrasa in Kolkata's Metiabruz area. Investigations by The Indian Express revealed that the Metiabruz madrasa managing committee has petitioned the Madrasa Board and other departments dealing with minority affairs to remove Akhtar as headmaster "as there is an atmosphere of tension" ever since he was attacked by a mob on March 26. "His statements have hurt the religious sentiments of the local people and pressure has built up to remove him," a member of the committee told The Indian Express on conditions of anonymity. He further said the local Trinamool Congress leaders are also supporting the local community and religious heads in their demand to remove Akhtar as "Kolkata municipal elections are round the corner and no one wants to antagonise the minority community". RELATED Kolkata Madrasa Head Attacked For 'Trying To Be A Rushdie' Madrasa Headmaster To Get National Teacher Award Bengal Madrasah With More Hindu Students Draws Eyes,President S Award For Teacher ' Contacted, Fazle Rabbi, secretary, West Bengal Madrasa Board said the Metiabruz madrasa managing committee may have submitted the petition on Tuesday but the official file was yet to reach him. Not in the know of the turn of events, Akhtar, who is yet to return to madrasa after the brutal assault, said he will resume office only if he is provided protection. He said he will be writing to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and the concerned authorities dealing with minority affairs over the attack on him. "People with independent thinking expect support and encouragement from the ruling government," Akhtar said. The Minister of State for Minority Affairs, Giasuddin Mollah, meanwhile, said he came to know about the assault through newspapers but added that the madrasa teacher was yet to inform him. "We will certainly act once he informs us," Mollah said. The attack has evoked strong condemnations from various quarters, including a section of progressive Muslim leaders and intellectuals. In an appeal, called "Call to Resistance", Arup Majumdar, Giasuddin, Rama Kundu and others on behalf of the Non-Party Democratic Forum expressed "deep distress and concern at the brutal assault on Kazi Masum Akhtar by some Islamic fundamentalists...some self-appointed muscle-flexing guardians of the society". The Forum further said that this attack "amounts to violation of the fundamental right to freedom of speech guaranteed" by the Constitution. "This brute policy of gagging the voice of reason and dissent, and robbing the speaker of his constitutional right poses threat not only to rational, free-thinking, progressive Muslim citizens like Akhtar, but also signals a forthcoming Talibanistic orthodox reign of terror for all citizens, Muslims and non-Muslims alike," it said, adding that already "fatwas (edict) have been issued on conch-blowing, women's sports and playing of music". Faruque Ahmed, editor of Udar Akash (Open Sky), an Urdu magazine, said the brutal attack "remind us of the fate Washiqur Rahman or Abhijit Roy of Bangladesh suffered recently. Such violence by religious fanatics cannot be allowed to be perpetuated". He said on April 9, a large number of intellectuals will march to Nabanna (state secretariat) and submit a deputation to the chief minister. -- Peace Is Doable -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Green Youth Movement" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send an email to [email protected]. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
